Experienced in stock or warehouse work?
The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) is looking to hire a Material Storage Specialist within the Commission on Fire Prevention and Control (CFPC), located in Windsor Locks.
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position. Schedule is Monday-Friday, 8 hours a day on first shift. A flex schedule is negotiable with limited overtime opportunities. The duty station is the Connecticut Fire Academy in Windsor Locks.
Please review the "Examples of Duties" section below for specific tasks of this position.
We offer a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year!
CFPC's mission is to prevent or mitigate the effects of fire and disasters through leadership and collaboration with municipalities, fire departments and regional fire schools. This is achieved through training, education and professional competency certification of career and volunteer fire service personnel.
DESPP is committed to protecting and improving the quality of life for all by providing a broad range of public safety services, training, regulatory guidance and scientific services utilizing enforcement, prevention, education and state of the art science and technology.
In striving to accomplish our mission, we will embody our core values with great PRIDE:
Professionalism through an elite and diverse team of trained men and women.
Respect for ourselves and others through our words and actions.
Integrity through adherence to standards and values that merit public trust.
Dedication to our colleagues, our values, and to the service of others.
Equality through fair and unprejudiced application of the law.
Discover how you can Make an ImpaCT as a State of Connecticut employee below!
Candidates selected for an interview must provide the following at the time of interview:
Candidates who have been selected for employment with the Department of Emergency Services & Public Protection are subject to a detailed background investigation, including a fingerprint supported state and federal criminal history record check along with reference checks. Selection for employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the background investigation.
- Current State Employees: Two (2) most recent performance evaluations, Cover Letter, and a completed CT-HR-13 form.
- Non-State Employees: Two (2) letters of professional reference from a current and/or previous supervisor, Cover letter, and a completed CT-HR-13 form.
Click here to complete the CT-HR-13 Criminal Convictions addendum.
Any pending disciplinary history within the past 2 years and review of attendance records are also considered in the selection process.
Before you apply, make note of the following:
Important information for after you apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Questions about this position should be directed to Jake Ferrari via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for stockroom or warehouse operations, including the full range of stores activities, such as receiving, storing, distributing, inspecting, inventorying, purchasing and all other related functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Works to maintain the Division’s training equipment cache and overall inventory both controlled and consumable, on and off site. Track items using proper forms (CO-1079) for equipment on loan or assignment to staff and adjuncts. Enter items into the public surplus site that need to be scrapped or for surplus. Perform all duties within the state Comptrollers manual referring to asset management. Perform quality and quantity inspection of all incoming supplies for overall division operations including the CFA Bookstore. Receive and issue stock, maintain records of receipts, requisitions and stock on hand. Follow-up on all backorders. Operate forklift, fire apparatus and other material handling equipment to deliver and receive items. Maintain “yellow tag” system for broken items to be repaired and returned into service in a timely manner. Ensure breathing air samples are properly drawn and sent for required testing in addition to all equipment requiring regular testing and calibration. Obtain quotes for repair/maintenance or future purchase equipment, enter requisitions into CORE CT. Manage and maintain monthly apparatus and vehicle mileage logs. Set-up appointments and deliver fleet and division vehicles for preventative maintenance and repairs. Oversee security of stores/storage areas in addition to maintaining the safety and cleanliness of the training grounds and designated work areas. Assist Fire Academy Trainers with care and maintenance of training equipment and readiness of course materials and educational areas. Assist Bookstore Supervisor and logistics crew as may be needed. Serve as liaison to DESPP Fiscal staff regarding inventory control. Other related duties as assigned by Supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of the methods of requisitioning, handling, storing and issuing of materials and supplies; knowledge of safe and efficient warehousing practices including purchasing; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to keep accurate stock records and inventories; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in stock or warehouse work or closely related work that could reasonably be expected to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have involved the full range of stores duties, including receiving, storing, issuing, inventorying, inspecting, etc.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted at or above the level of Storekeeper.
- Familiarity with fire service related tools and equipment.
Possess a Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class A with proper endorsements or have the ability to obtain within one year of hire.
OSHA Forklift Certification or ability to obtain within one (1) year from date of hire.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice assignments, whenever their services are required.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess experience receiving and handling of specialized materials.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to weather conditions and may be required to handle hazardous materials/chemicals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.