Are you a dedicated accounting professional looking to grow and build upon your current skills? If so, we invite you to read below and learn more about this fantastic opportunity to join our team!
The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE
) is accepting applications for an Associate Accountant
to join our Accounting Services Unit within the Bureau of Fiscal Services
. This is a full-time, 40-hour position, Monday- Friday, with flexible work hours and the opportunity to telecommute. Our office is centrally located in Hartford, alongside the Connecticut River with walkable access to museums, a science center, and great restaurants.
The Accounting Services Unit is responsible for the oversight, monitoring and reporting of state and federal grants currently valued at nearly $5 billion. These funds directly support CSDE’s mission to ensure equal opportunity and excellence in education for all Connecticut students. You will report to the Supervising Accountant and will perform a variety of fiscal and accounting functions. We are looking for highly skilled candidates that possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, outstanding data analytics skills, exceptional attention to detail, and can perform independently as well as in a team environment. Additionally, you will be client focused, collaborative, solution-driven and manage multiple competing priorities.
What We Can Offer You:
The State of Connecticut offers a competitive starting salary, excellent]state benefits
package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance
Important Information After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact email@example.com
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing the most complex accounting tasks within a variety of accounting programs and systems. This class may also be accountable for lead or consultative responsibility.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Establishes and implements accounting sub-systems such as procedures for paying and collecting activities, procedures for issuance of grants, loans or subsidies, establishment of rates or schedules of fees, establishment of account charts for classification of transactions; maintains fiscal controls by authorizing non-routine expenditures based on management priorities and policies, examining data and making recommendations regarding timing and amounts of expenditures; manages various phases of budget preparation and control such as preparing estimates of costs of existing or new programs, offices or divisions, preparing budget requests, appropriation schedules, monthly budget reports and year end budget reports; administers fiscal aspects of grant programs by reviewing funding applications for approval, researching and preparing estimates of costs of proposed grant programs, interpreting grant contracts for approval of grant expenditures, analyzing grantees financial records and reports for compliance with grant expenditure requirements; monitors fiscal aspects of contract administration by reviewing and interpreting contracts for approval on non-routine expenditures, preparing or approving schedules of fees in regard to specific contracts; determines priorities; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may coordinate unit workflow; may assign and review work; may establish and maintain unit procedures; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices including governmental accounting and budgeting; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to analyze and evaluate financial records, methods and procedures; ability to devise and install accounting procedures and systems; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the level of Accountant, Auditor or Accounts Examiner with responsibility for the exercise of independent analysis and judgement in the application of professional accounting principles and practices.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) year of the General and Special Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
- Experience applying contract terms to financial documents and invoices.
- Experience reconciling accounts.
- Experience reviewing accounts, ledgers, and expenditure data.
- Experience interpreting and implementing accounting methods and procedures.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office 365 Suite.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.