The State of Connecticut, is now accepting applications for a (3) Fiscal/Administrative Officers within the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS). These positions are located at CTECS Central Office in Hartford, CT. These positions are full-time, 40 hours per week, with a Monday – Friday schedule. Hours will be determined upon receiving a formal offer of acceptance. There is some opportunity for a flexible/alternate work schedule and telework opportunities, in accordance with State policies.
As a state employee, you would continue to be able to participate in our competitive benefits plan which includes health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals.
We hope you take this opportunity to join our team and make an impact by serving your state!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Connect With Us:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, facility or institution this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in professional level fiscal and administrative functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Create and amend requisitions, purchase orders and contracts in CORE-CT for the agency;
- Review, maintain, and update Core-CT encumbrances based on fund availability and recommendations from Management Monitor the encumbrance of funding to ensure the availability of funding.
- Work closely with Accounts Payable, Accounting and the Budget Unit to ensure that State and Federal policies are being met.
- Prepare and review routine requests for monthly purchases based on stock availability and agency needs
- Utilize STARS/CORE-CT for financial records, reports and analyses.
- Verify, approve, revise and process purchase order requisitions while following regulations and procedures as they apply to purchasing, budget, accounts payable and accounting.
- Review invoices and create receipt numbers;
- Review contracts, lease/rental agreements, Personal Services Agreements, Memorandum of Understanding, Memorandum of Agreements;
- Review grant awards;
- Asset Management and Inventory
- Review quotes from vendors;
- Create and send customer invoices;
- Audit release vouchers;
- Prepare monthly reports;
- Prepare quarterly set asides;
- Enter and maintain assets in CORE-CT;
- Prepare spreadsheet journal corrections;
- OPM Security Liaison - prepare CO-1092 to add or delete financial roles, and resets passwords as necessary;
- Assist with P-Card Coordination, reconcile monthly P-Card transactions, run monthly statements, and distribute to staff;
- Prepare applicable fiscal year-end Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) reports;
- Prepare federal financial reports; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
- More information can be found here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles and practices of public administration with special reference to governmental budget management and governmental accounting; knowledge of grants and contracts preparation and administration; knowledge of purchasing principles and procedures; some knowledge of payroll practices and procedures; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and analyze financial documents and reports; ability to interpret and apply statutes, regulations and administrative policies; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in a combination of fiscal/administrative functions (e.g., accounting, accounts examining, budget management, grant administration, payroll, purchasing) at least one of which must be an accounting or budgeting function.*
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the paraprofessional level, requiring the exercise of some independent judgment in the application of basic principles and procedures in accounting, budgeting, purchasing or related fiscal administration functions. Connecticut Careers Trainee experience (target Fiscal/Administrative Officer or closely related class) is at the professional training level and above the paraprofessional level.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (l5) semester hours equalling one-half (l/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in public administration, business administration or accounting may be substituted for one (l) year of the Special Experience.
3. For state employees two (2) years as a Fiscal/Administrative Assistant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
4. For state employees two (2) years as a Purchasing Assistant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
*Descriptions of these fiscal/administrative functions are attached
- Experience in CORE-CT (e.g. Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Asset Management, EPM Reports);
- Experience in Microsoft Excel and Word including but not limited to creating reports, pivot tables and other related record;
- Experience with cash ledgers and cash management;
- Experience with Petty Cash processing and reconciliation;
- Experience with Purchasing Card Program, use and reconciliation;
- Experience with STARS reporting for budget preparation and expenditure reporting;
- Experience with travel purchasing procedures;
- Experience fostering and building collaborative relationships within internal and external stakeholders.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.