Do you enjoy working in fast-paced environments? Are you looking for a pathway to success? If so, then this opportunity is for you!
The State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services (DAS) is committed to providing timely, proficient, fair, efficient services that address the needs of state agencies, municipalities, private industry, and the general public.
In the DAS Talent Solutions Division, we are responsible for the State’s overall talent acquisition strategy. We oversee the State’s classification system, which requires us to research, audit, and analyze job classes to determine if revisions or new establishments are necessary. We also develop and maintain mandatory lists for eligible employees (e.g., impacted by layoff, demotion in lieu of layoff, etc.) and non-mandatory lists (e.g., statewide transfer requests). Talent Solutions also provides Human Resources Consultation to various agencies and assists with organizational design, position management, recruitment, and HR policy surrounding talent acquisition.
Connect with us on LinkedIn State of Connecticut!
We are looking for a Talent Solutions Trainee (Leadership Associate) with a target class of Human Resources Associate to participate in a development program designed to equip you with the vital knowledge, skills, and abilities required to transition into the target class of Human Resources Associate.
We will train you to perform the functions listed above. As a Talent Solutions Trainee, you will be exposed to:
This is a full-time position, working Monday-Friday. Our office is in Hartford and located at 450 Columbus Boulevard. While our office is conveniently nestled between phenomenal restaurants, beautiful views of the Connecticut River and Hartford skyline and major highways, this position can be performed in a hybrid capacity.
- Establishing and revising State job classes
- Performing job audits and analysis
- Maintaining mandatory and non-mandatory employment lists
- Providing HR Consultation services to State agencies
- Performing digital recruiting and employer branding
- Participating in creative and strategic projects related to human resources management and much more!
WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?
- We offer a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off, including 12* paid holidays per calendar year. *13 starting in 2023.
- We also encourage a strong work/life balance for all state employees.
- We also offer opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- We have limitless areas for you to perform relevant and significant work.
- We are a team where everyone matters.
- We believe that today’s talent is tomorrow’s success.
Want to know what it is like to #MakeanImpaCT as a State of Connecticut employee?
- See what two of our Talent Solutions employees have to say about working for the State of CT.
- Learn more about the role from the perspective of Andrea who joined us as a career changer and Phillip who joined us recently out of grad school!
"I joined the State of Connecticut as a Leadership Associate after working in non-profit and education for most of my career history. The training program provided a comprehensive framework of experience and knowledge that not only supports my growth and success as a Human Resources Professional but allows me to have a greater impaCT to those I serve in the public sector. With the many opportunities available for upward mobility and learning, I am looking forward to continued career possibilities as a State of CT employee!" – Andrea Clarke l Principal Human Resources Specialist, Talent Solutions Division, Department of Administrative Services.
"After finishing my degree, I had two goals: to ensure that I enter a career that allowed me to grow professionally and carry out meaningful work. As a Leadership Associate, I have not only been able to accomplish these goals, but I have the privilege of working alongside a diverse group of individuals who are dedicated to the success of the State and to the professional success of their peers. My time as a Leadership Associate has been personally enriching and I have found that I am developing skills and fostering relationships that are invaluable to my professional and personal success. I would encourage anyone who wishes to have a rewarding career within civil service to apply to the State of Connecticut!" - Phillip Hyman | Leadership Associate, Talent Solutions Division, Department of Administrative Services.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Important Information After You Apply:
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Frank DeCusati at email@example.com or 860-713-5176.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency incumbents in this class participate in a formal development program designed to provide the necessary knowledge and skills to qualify for appointment to a designated managerial or professional confidential class assigned to the MP Pay Plan.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in revising job classifications and conducting research in support of new or revised job classifications
- Performing job audits, job analysis, and other classification-related studies
- Assisting in the reclassification grievance process
- Assisting in the re-employment of employees impacted by layoff, demotion in lieu of layoff, etc. by developing and maintaining mandatory lists
- Learning and gaining an understanding of State agency missions and workplaces
- Interpreting, coordinating, and maintaining compliance with human resources laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Building job postings, creating exam plans, and certifying applicant lists within JobAps, the State's Applicant Tracking System (ATS)
- Assisting in the maintenance and use of JobAps
- Fielding and responding to inquiries from job applicants
- Assisting in training other State Human Resources professionals on human resources tools and topics
- Assisting in providing regular human resources-related analytics for various business purposes
- Participating in talent acquisition projects as assigned
- Assisting in organizational analysis and review
- Assisting in business analysis, writing, and correspondence
- Other ad hoc tasks, researching, and reporting as assigned
- See other examples of duties here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills; considerable ability to understand and apply state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable ability to analyze and solve problems; considerable ability to effect and manage change; considerable ability to plan for and implement excellent customer service; considerable ability to learn a new knowledge base in functional area; considerable ability to learn and apply policy and procedure; managerial aptitude.
Candidates must be able to meet the experience and training requirements of the designated class at the completion of the development program.
- Bachelor’s degree conferred by closing date of job posting
- Experience with Microsoft Excel including creating formulas and analyzing data
- Experience or coursework preparing grammatically correct written correspondence and proofreading your work
- Experience creating content and posting on social media channels
- Experience relaying information to public audiences and developing measurement outcomes to prove messages are understood
- Experience working in an environment requiring constant movement from one task to another and meeting deadlines
- Experience or coursework performing research to reach a conclusion
- Experience following directions to complete a task
1. Prior to appointment to this class there must be an approved managerial or professional confidential designated class identified to which the incumbent will be appointed upon successful completion of an approved development program. Incumbents in this class must meet the experience and training requirements of the identified designated class at the end of the development program.
2. The work schedule for this classification is full-time. Incumbents must work a full-time forty (40) hours per week schedule.
3. Incumbents in this class will be eligible for reclassification to the designated class without competitive examination upon successful completion of the development program and satisfactory service. The length of the development program should be designed around the requirements of the designated class and the prior experience of the incumbent but in no case should be less than one (1) year or exceed three (3) calendar years in accordance with C.G.S. 5-234.
4. All appointments to this class shall be under terms of an approved development program and in accordance with a time schedule approved by the Department of Administrative Services.
5. No additional working test period shall be required upon successful completion of the development program.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.