The State of Connecticut
, Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD
) is recruiting for a State Program Manager
. This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position located in Hartford, CT.
The DECD is the state’s lead agency responsible for strengthening Connecticut’s competitive position in the rapidly changing, knowledge-based global economy.
The agency takes a comprehensive approach to economic development that incorporates community development, transportation, education, and arts and culture. Specifically, the department:
- Supports existing businesses and attracts new businesses and jobs with a wide range of programs and services to help companies prosper;
- Promotes Connecticut industries and businesses here at home, throughout the country and across the globe;
- Strengthens Connecticut’s communities by providing funding and technical support for local community and economic development projects;
- Works to make tourism a leading economic contributor and a source of pride for Connecticut;
- Develops and strengthens the arts in Connecticut and makes artistic experiences widely available to residents and visitors; and
- Helps to eliminate brownfield properties by promoting smart growth principles, strengthening public/private partnerships and providing a one-stop resource for expertise.
This position is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in developing, promoting and standing up economic and community development programs. We are seeking an adept individual with a skillset that spans strategic and quantitative analysis, project management, and communication. They are able to interact in a manner that gains trust, and to negotiate mutually beneficial business outcomes with both businesses and stakeholders. The ideal candidate will also have a strong network of ecosystem partners and thought leaders and to tap into them for views on industry trends and market intelligence, and regularly organically continue to augment this network.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Provide critical quantitative fiscal and business analyses related to program development and the extension thereof to specific project and market opportunities.
- Develop recommendations to include potential ongoing fiscal, compliance and reporting/review issues.
We are looking for a self-motivated, thorough professional to join our collaborative, and growing team. You will provide innovative problem solving for businesses and programs, manage complex client and stakeholder engagements and ensure top-shelf provision of client services.
What We Can Offer You:
We participate in a competitive benefits
package that includes comprehensive healthcare coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance
to all employees.
Important Information After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact email@example.com
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for planning, organizing and directing an agency program and/or project or directing the development and administration of programs within a division.
Receives general direction from an administrative official of higher grade.
Directs staff as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Directs the administration and/or operations of an agency program and/or project or division; coordinates, plans and manages program and/or project activities; formulates goals and objectives; develops or assists in development of related policy; interprets and administers pertinent laws; provides input or evaluates staff; prepares or assists in preparation of budget; maintains contact with individuals both within and outside of agency who might impact on program and/or project activities; serves on committees and/or and task forces as required; speaks before professional and lay groups on subjects related to agency mission; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of relevant State and Federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of project management; considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of business and public administration with emphasis on effective organization, administration and management considerable ability to analyze organizational problems and determine effective solutions; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of professional experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must been in a consultative capacity with programmatic and administrative or project management responsibilities in the specific area of assignment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in business administration, public administration or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. Department of Labor: Two (2) years of experience as an Apprenticeship and Training Program Manager may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Experience researching and preparing quantitative and qualitative market analyses for both existing and potential business initiatives.
- Experience developing and utilizing financial models as part of an incentive deployment process including modelling scenarios, business valuations, revenue and cost projections.
- Experience working with leadership to determine requirements and indicative business data to support leadership economic policy and incentive deployment decision-making process.
- Experience using Excel to create spreadsheets, graphs, tables, calculations, and automation to process data relevant to business tasks.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.