The State of Connecticut, Office of Health Strategy (OHS) is Hiring! We are currently recruiting for a Research Analyst to join our team. Located centrally in Hartford, this is a full-time, forty (40) hour per week position. The work schedule is Monday through Friday on first shift.
The Research Analyst will provide insight, analyses, dashboards and visualizations of healthcare clinical, financial and claims data to inform and evaluate policy under the direction of the Health Information Technology Officer and data team lead. They will support execution of a data use strategy and other evaluative activities for the healthcare benchmark initiative; decision-making on provider applications to modify complement of services and ownership of healthcare facilities, factors known to influence cost growth and access; creation of web-based dashboards, infographics, and other price transparency tools to support healthcare policy and consumer decision-making.
The mission of the Office of Health Strategy (OHS) is to implement comprehensive, data-driven strategies that promote equal access to healthcare, control costs and ensure better health outcomes for the people of Connecticut. We are a mission driven state agency within the Governor-led executive branch of Connecticut state government. OHS’s big data trove includes health care claims comprising over one billion records, inpatient discharge data of about 400,000 per year from 1991 to date, statewide outpatient surgery and emergency room encounter occurring over the last ten years, including hospital financial data.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL:
- Develop statistical and advanced data analyses, dashboards, visualizations
- Create reports to inform and support policy
As a State employee, you have available a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, and a retirement plan, as well as paid time off! We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees. Additional benefits may include a flexible schedule, 50% or more teleworking, in-service training, and tuition reimbursement.
*This salary range may increase effective July 1, 2022.
This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID-19 Vaccination Immunization.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Chelsea Moore at Chelsea.Moore@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in research design and implementation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Develops and implements formal research projects and assists in these activities on more comprehensive and complex research assignments; analyzes, interprets and prepares data in a variety of ways; prepares narrative and statistical reports; develops computerized databases and analyzes and interprets computer generated reports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of research methods and techniques; knowledge of statistics; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to analyze data; ability to develop programs and use prepackaged computer programs to perform data analysis; ability to understand agency related policies and procedures as they relate to research.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of professional experience in research, data analysis or economics.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in economics, statistics or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experienced in patient or claims data collection, processing, and validation.
- Experienced in conducting research and advance analyses on big healthcare data or large datasets.
- Experience in medical coding.
- Experience using statistical and computer programming tools, such as SQL, SAS, R or SPSS.
- Experience using advance data analysis and visualization abilities utilizing software tools, such as Tableau and Power BI, to create dashboards, issue briefs, reports, and policy impact analyses.
- Experience using oral and written communication along with public speaking.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.