- This position is 40 hours per week
- In the NP-2 Bargaining unit.
- Day shift, Monday-Friday.
(*This salary range may increase effective July 1, 2022.)
- Candidates must indicate they hold a current and valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tank endorsement in the "Licenses and Professional Certifications" section of the application, or they will not be considered.
- Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
- Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm; which at times could be up to a period of several days, to include holidays and weekends. Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 20-mile residency from the posted job location.
- Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified.
- Candidates must be a current Department of Transportation employee with permanent status.
- In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancies are listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Hayley Newhouse at Hayley.Newhouse@ct.gov or (860) 986-6918.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of
Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable
for acting as a working supervisor for an assigned group of Transportation
Maintainers and/or Qualified Craft Workers engaged in an area of transportation
maintenance or closely related activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans crew workflow and
determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work;
establishes and maintains crew procedures; provides staff training and
assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as
liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit
policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may
prepare reports and correspondence; requisitions materials and equipment
appropriate to the various jobs; participates in performing the duties of the
crew; may do preliminary site inspection of assigned jobs; may be required to
stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at
State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of tree and shrub planting and
maintenance; skill in climbing and cutting trees; interpersonal skills; oral
and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software; some
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of skilled experience in the
maintenance and control of trees and roadside growth.
Note: For State Employees the General Experience
will be interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 3.
- Experience leading a crew of employees engaged in the maintenance and control of trees and roadside growth
- Experience with tree-related work
- Experience with Aerial Bucket Operations
1. Incumbents in this
class will be required to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow
and ice removal as required.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to
possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
3. Appointment and retention is contingent on satisfactory completion of a
proficiency test or tests administered by the department.
At State Airports: In
addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application,
a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before
persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this
class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and
visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be
able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this
class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of
heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including
exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and
allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal
program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during
employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective
equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.