Are you a state of CT employee? Are you a self starter that thrives on teaching others?
If so, we invite you to apply for an exciting opportunity!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Developmental Services (DDS) seeks a results-oriented and qualified professional for the position of Trainer. This opportunity is within the Educational Support and Staff Development Division based out of our Putnam Office. This recruitment effort will also be used to fill a future anticipated vacancies located in Wallingford, Hartford, New Haven, Norwich, Southbury, Stratford and Torrington.
These opportunities are full time, 40 hour per week, on first shift. The schedule is Monday through Friday, the hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Telework may be available at the discretion of the Manager. Statewide travel may be expected.
What we offer:
We offer the same competitive benefits you are accustomed to, including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
We hope you take this opportunity to further your career and make an impact!
In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Jennifer Borenski, DDS EEO Employment Specialist 2 860-418-6143 or Jennifer.Borenski@ct.gov.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system. Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Important information after you apply:
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
Connect with us:
If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jasmyn Raymond, Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in preparing and conducting training programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Prepares and conducts training courses; assists in planning, developing, coordinating and evaluating comprehensive training programs; conducts needs assessments; develops course objectives, curricula, outlines and contents; selects and develops training methods and materials; researches learning material and resources; monitors and evaluates training courses and participants progress; provides technical assistance and consultation; maintains records and prepares reports; organizes and maintains a library of training materials; may conduct drills and exercises; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles and techniques of training and staff development; knowledge of education methods and techniques; ability to assess training needs and determine objectives; ability to develop, organize and conduct training courses; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of technical experience in training, staff development, or adult education.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Preference will be given to candidates certified in American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) as a Basic Life Support (BLS) instructor to train both blended and classroom format and who possess the following experience:
- Using SABA platform, including opening and closing classes
- Using Microsoft Office Suite, including experience utilizing the more advanced functionalities of Excel
- With online learning design tools such as SnagIt, Articulate or Lectora
- Utilizing a wide range of computer software programs including learning new proprietary systems
- Teaching adults by utilizing adult learning principals
- Teaching, employing best practices of training, and providing staff development
- Developing, organizing, and conducting training courses in an interactive, participant-focused style, with a focus on creativity and flexibility
- Presenting curriculum in its written form as well as in its entirety
- Operating and troubleshooting technical problems for multiple types of equipment typically used in training presentations (e.g. laptops, PCs, projectors, sound systems, etc.)
- Coordinating trainings on multiple shifts
- Managing a cadre of potentially 30 or more adjunct instructors
- Problem-solving current and planning for future problems using logical judgement
- Communicating with a diverse population in a clear and amicable manner
- Functioning in a matrix management environment
- Successfully implementing new initiatives while balancing competing priorities and/or stakeholders
- Current Physical Management Technics (PMT) certified Instructor to teach both classroom and blended formats
- Proctoring Medical Administration Examination
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess specialized certifications for designated positions prior to appointment.
2 Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
3 Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.