The State of Connecticut, Department of Children and Families' (DCF), mission is partnering with communities and empowering families to raise resilient children who thrive. We are proud of our diverse and dedicated workforce who strive every day to meet the needs of those we encounter.
We are recruiting for a Fiscal Administrative Officer position in its Purchasing and Accounts Payable Unit. The position is assigned to Central Office, located at 505 Hudson Street, Hartford, CT. This position is full-time, 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday, with flexible hours.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, facility or institution this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in professional level fiscal and administrative functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of professional fiscal and administrative functions; assists head of fiscal/administrative operations, division head or agency head in budget preparation by compiling and consolidating data and projecting expenditures; maintains budget control by reviewing and authorizing expenditures and monitoring expenditures against appropriations and allotments; prepares budget reports; prepares various financial statements and statistical or narrative fiscal/administrative reports; assists in planning and implementation of financial aspects of EDP systems; utilizes EDP systems for financial records, reports and analyses; prepares or reviews grant budgets and other fiscal portions of grant applications; provides technical assistance to grantees regarding accounting procedures; reviews various contracts, financial documents and financial reports to ensure compliance with grant requirements; exercises functional supervision over a variety of clerical fiscal/administrative activities such as maintenance of accounting records, payroll preparation, preparation and processing of purchase requisitions, grant and contract record keeping; performs technical purchasing tasks such as soliciting bids and recommending contract awards; assists in formulation of policies and procedures relating to area(s) of responsibility and implementation of such policies and procedures; acts as liaison with agency central fiscal and administrative office(s) and/or central state agencies; may supervise support services such as stores, inventory, mailroom, security or maintenance; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles and practices of public administration with special reference to governmental budget management and governmental accounting; knowledge of grants and contracts preparation and administration; knowledge of purchasing principles and procedures; some knowledge of payroll practices and procedures; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and analyze financial documents and reports; ability to interpret and apply statutes, regulations and administrative policies; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in a combination of fiscal/administrative functions (e.g., accounting, accounts examining, budget management, grant administration, payroll, purchasing) at least one of which must be an accounting or budgeting function.*
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been at the paraprofessional level, requiring the exercise of some independent judgment in the application of basic principles and procedures in accounting, budgeting, purchasing or related fiscal administration functions. Connecticut Careers Trainee experience (target Fiscal/Administrative Officer or closely related class) is at the professional training level and above the paraprofessional level.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (l5) semester hours equalling one-half (l/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in public administration, business administration or accounting may be substituted for one (l) year of the Special Experience.
3. For state employees two (2) years as a Fiscal/Administrative Assistant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
4. For state employees two (2) years as a Purchasing Assistant may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
*Descriptions of these fiscal/administrative functions are attached
- Experience in CORE-CT (e.g. Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Asset Management, EPM Reports).
- Experience in Microsoft Excel and Word including but not limited to creating reports, pivot tables and other related record.
- Experience with Department of Administrative Services purchasing rules and state contracts.
- Experience with cash ledgers and cash management.
- Experience with Petty Cash processing and reconciliation.
- Experience with accounts receivable, accounts payable and asset management.
- Experience in written and oral communication with customer base at all levels of the organization.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.