Current DDS permanent employees should not apply.
*These are permanent positions. However, candidates will be hired into temporary schedules and temporary work locations. Per a stipulated agreement employees hired into temporary schedules and temporary locations will be impacted and will be required to participate in a DDS statewide job fair at a date in the future yet to be determined. Said employee will be required to select from a statewide list of work assignments opportunities that consist of hours needed to be staffed as determined by management. Selection of permanent assignments will be done by seniority. Employees hired into these positions will most likely start at the temporary location with the temporary schedule, but end up in a different location with a different schedule after selection at job fair. Permanent locations for job fair will most likely include many additional towns statewide.
In this role, we will empower you to assist in the pursuit of our mission to promote meaningful opportunities for the individuals we serve in order for them to fully participate as valued members of their communities. We would entrust you to:
- Assist in the implementation of policies and procedures;
- Provide assistance and guidance to our clients in daily living activities;
- Engage in therapeutic programs to help develop individuals capabilities;
- Other duties as assigned.
New hires into State service will be paid at a rate of $21.74/hour. Upon successful completion of the working test period, the Employee shall be compensated at $22.75/hour.
We offer competitive benefits including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
- This position may be subject to Federal requirements for COVID 19 Vaccination Immunization.
- Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle License.
- Incumbents in this class will be required to travel.
- Incumbents in this class will be required to obtain an F-Endorsement on their driver’s license by the completion of the working test period
- This posting MAY require completion of additional referral questions (RQ’s) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. Please regularly check your email for notifications. You must reply by the deadline indicated on the notification or you will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
- If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Renee LaBarge, DDS EEO Director at 860-418-6022 or Renee.LaBarge@ct.gov.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the minimum qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date, unless otherwise specified.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- At any time during the recruitment process you may be asked to submit additional information.
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Anamaria Giangarra at Anamaria.firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Developmental Services this class is accountable for acting as part of a team in an intensive programming effort designed for the care, guidance, supervision and training of individuals.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Receives training in, then independently implements, policies and procedures designed to achieve objectives of a program for persons with intellectual disabilities; provides assistance and instruction to individuals in activities of daily living; participates in therapeutic programs for development of individuals capabilities; provides guidance and instruction to individuals in development of desirable personal habits, hygiene and social relationships; implements individual program plans; participates in preparation, serving and feeding of meals; performs housekeeping duties necessary to maintain a clean and healthy environment; participates in social and recreational activities; reinforces appropriate individual behavior through modification techniques; may administer selected oral medications with appropriate training; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable interpersonal skills; ability to develop a positive relationship with individuals; ability to train individuals in self care habits, personal hygiene and proper social conduct; ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Experience and/or training that could be expected to provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Experience working with individuals with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities;
- Experience with challenging individuals;
- Experience interacting with and explaining information to individuals in a fast-paced environment that involves considerable phone and email contact.
Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and maintain their Medication Certification as defined by the Connecticut Board of Examiners for Nursing Declaratory Ruling – Delegation by Licensed Nurses to Unlicensed Assistive Personnel,; when working in a location that does not have 24 hour nursing care.
Incumbents in this class may be required to be bilingual or fluent in American Sign Language.
Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator's license, Public Passenger Endorsement or Commercial Driver's license for designated positions.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class must possess physical and emotional health for efficient performance of duties; a physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain individuals; may have significant exposure to communicable/infectious diseases and to risk of injury from assaultive/abusive individuals; may be exposed to strongly disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.