Delivering public safety in the Connecticut buildings where people live, work and play requires well-trained building officials and fire marshals to review designs and inspect construction work for conformance with the state building and fire safety codes. The State of Connecticut
, Department of Administrative Services (DAS
), Real Estate and Construction Services Division is now accepting applications for a Director of Education and Data Management
(Director of Staff Development
) to lead their Training Unit.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead DAS's efforts to deliver high quality pre-licensure and professional development training programs for building and fire code officials, including the transformation to online formats, and manages fire and burn related data reporting. The position also manages the education fund collected from municipal building permit fees and works with the Building Code Training Council, Fire Marshal Training Council, and contributes to the general promotion and strengthening of the code official profession.
This position is full-time, 40 hours/week, located in Hartford, CT. A mixed work schedule of on-site and remote work is available.
Who We Are:
DAS houses a number of distinct programs that comprise the business functions of state government, including information technology, human resources, procurement, facilities and real estate, construction services, fleet, workers compensation and more united in a common mission to:
- Support Connecticut's Growth - To serve our citizens, businesses, state agencies and other branches of government by providing the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost.
- Drive Continuous Innovation - To increase the efficiency and effectiveness of state government using best practices from the public and private sectors.
- Provide Rewarding Careers - To attract and retain a workforce of talented, dedicated public servants committed to leading our great state forward.
We participate in a competitive benefits package
that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off, and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance
for all employees and provide professional growth and development opportunities!
Important Information After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a large state agency with work locations throughout the state this class is accountable for developing and directing a program of in-service training and staff development.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Directs staff and operations of training unit; coordinates, plans and manages training activities; formulates program goals and objectives; assists in development of training and staff development policies; interprets and administers pertinent laws and regulations concerning agency training; evaluates staff; prepares training budget; maintains contacts with individuals both within and outside of agency who might impact on program activities; provides consultative services to agency managers regarding organization development; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of human resource development practices; knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Eight (8) years of professional experience in human resource development, in-service training or adult education.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have involved primary responsibility for planning, developing, coordinating or implementing an in-service training or staff development program.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience managing or directing a building official or fire marshal training program.
- Experience developing, implementing, and managing online training programs.
- Experience working with a digital learning management system.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.