Are you a Welder looking for a new opportunity with great benefits? Do you possess a Certified Welding Certificate? If so, come make an impact by serving your State. Read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for an exciting Qualified Craft Worker (Welder) opportunity located at the Rocky Hill Repair facility. It is the DOT’s mission to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
We would love to hear from you if you possess a Certified Welding Certificate, be sure to indicate this information in the "Licenses and Professional Certificates" section of your application. Please review the Preferred Criteria below and if applicable, indicate such experience on your application. Duties include, but are not limited to, performing highly skilled and specialized maintenance repairs to the DOT’s diverse fleet.
- A valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) A or B, with "tank endorsement," and a valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC). Be sure to indicate this information in the "Licenses and Professional Certificates" section of your application.
- Residency within 30-miles of the job location (Rocky Hill).
- Must submit a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1) form.
- Must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, whenever your services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. As a support to Highway Operations units, various storm events will require employees to be at work prior, during, and after a storm or weather event, which at times could be up to period of several days, to include holidays and weekends. Additionally, in preparation for the winter season, there is "preplanned" overtime to prepare the fleet and equipment.
- PLEASE NOTE: Prior to hire, you will be required to complete a preemployment physical and work assessment, which will include a respirator physical to follow the DOT’s Respirator Policy. A respirator fit test will be performed upon hire.
Benefits & Schedule: We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off, and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees and provide professional growth and development opportunities! This is a full-time, Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm (37.5 hours/week) opportunity located at the Rocky Hill Repair facility.
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a State of CT employee!
All state employees shall follow Executive Order 13G (as amended by Executive Order 14C).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions about this recruitment please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing highly skilled duties in one or more trade areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring application of trade skills, codes and standard trade practices; makes estimates of time, personnel and material required on assigned tasks; keeps necessary records; in smaller trade areas may be the sole worker running a skilled trade area; performs duties related to trade or similar trade areas as required; at state owned airports may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; performs related duties as required.
WELDING; Performs highly skilled tasks in accordance with standard trade practices; welds mental parts by oxyacetylene torch and welding rods or electric welding apparatus; brazes parts; lays out parts; dismantles equipment and makes necessary repairs; tests welds; assembles and tests equipment; maintains and repairs welding tools and equipment; may do blacksmith work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply standard tools, materials, methods and practices of the particular trade; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in the particular trade area indicated by the parenthetical title.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in the particular craft indicated by the parenthetical title.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted at the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2. Housekeeping, custodial and food services duties will not be considered as qualifying experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
3. Experience performing technical duties within the maintenance trade area on a military base, aircraft carrier or large compound may be substituted for the General and Special Experience on a year for year basis.
- Possession of a welding certificate as well as education in welding.
- Experience in Mig, Tig, Aluminum and Stick Welding.
- Experience operating, setting up, and maintaining CNC plasma cutting tables.
- Experience identifying problems and reviewing information to develop and implement solutions.
- Two years of experience in a metal fabrication environment.
- Experience using basic math and understanding of metal alloys and shapes.
1. Incumbents in this class at the Department of Transportation or the Connecticut Airport Authority performing structural steel welding will be required to possess a Department of Transportation welding certification.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.