Are you a Building Code Official looking for a new role with great benefits? Does a career in public service excite you? If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Administrative Services (DAS) is currently seeking two (2) Construction Services Building Officials (CSBOs) to join our team! DAS houses a number of distinct programs that comprise the business functions of state government, including information technology, human resources, procurement, facilities and real estate, construction services, fleet, workers compensation and more.
Our divisions are united in a common mission:
- Support Connecticut's Growth - To serve our citizens, businesses, state agencies and other branches of government by providing the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost.
- Drive Continuous Innovation - To increase the efficiency and effectiveness of state government using best practices from the public and private sectors.
- Provide Rewarding Careers - To attract and retain a workforce of talented, dedicated public servants committed to leading our great state forward.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Interpret and apply current and previously adopted building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical codes, adopted referenced standards and applicable state and federal statutes.
- Provide state agencies, local code enforcement officials, architects, engineers, other design professionals and construction industry representatives with technical assistance in proper application of the code.
- Resolve problems in design, construction, alteration, or renovation of buildings including testing of engineered systems.
- Review, analyze and prepare written recommendations as to acceptability of requests for modification of state building code.
- Assist State Building Inspector in revision of state building code and referenced standards by conducting research and drafting amendments.
- Conduct technical on-site inspections and evaluations on complex code issues.
- Determine appropriateness of building materials and system components based on code interpretation. Prepare technical reports.
- Prepares and administer examinations for building code enforcement officials licensure.
- See other examples of duties below.
Benefits & Schedule: We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare policies including medical and dental coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off, and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees and provide professional growth and development opportunities! The two positions are based out of our main office at 450 Columbus Boulevard in Hartford and will perform building code plan review and site inspection functions within the 35-hour work week, flex-schedule is available.
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a State of CT employee!
All state employees shall follow Executive Order 13G (as amended by Executive Order 14C).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Must be licensed as a Building Official by the Connecticut Department of Administrative Services'/Office of Education and Data Management (OEDM).
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions about this recruitment please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Administrative Services, Office of the State Building Inspector this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in assuring proper application of the state building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical codes, adopted referenced standards and applicable state and federal statutes.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
As the authority having jurisdiction interprets and applies current and previously adopted building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical codes, adopted referenced standards and applicable state and federal statutes; provides state agencies, local code enforcement officials, architects, engineers, other design professionals and construction industry representatives with technical assistance in proper application of the code; resolves problems in design, construction, alteration or renovation of buildings including testing of engineered systems; reviews, analyzes and prepares written recommendations as to acceptability of requests for modification of state building code; assists State Building Inspector in revision of state building code and referenced standards by conducting research and drafting amendments; conducts technical on-site inspections and evaluations on complex code issues; determines appropriateness of building materials and system components based on code interpretation; prepares technical reports; prepares and administers examinations for building code enforcement officials licensure; prepares and presents mandated educational training programs to local code enforcement officials, state agencies and professional organizations; may lead technical staff by assigning and reviewing daily work and providing on-going training; may testify at administrative hearings or courts of law; may review documentation for issuance of building permits and certificates of occupancy; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply building construction standards, building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical codes, adopted national referenced standards, standard tests for construction materials and fire rating and applicable state and federal statutes; considerable knowledge of and ability to review complex building plans and specifications for large scale building projects; knowledge of basic engineering and architectural principles, practices and methods of building design and construction; knowledge of inspection practices; knowledge of building materials and equipment; knowledge of adverse weather and seismic effects on buildings; considerable oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills; ability to prepare and present technical material during training programs and public speaking engagements; ability to present concepts graphically; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of experience in building code compliance plan review and inspection of building construction.
This may have involved working within a specific area of the building trades such as electrical, mechanical, structural, etc.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been in the inspection and review of plans and specifications for building code compliance on large-scale building projects.
Note: Large-scale building projects will be interpreted as buildings exceeding 12,000 square feet in size and more than one story in height not including apartment buildings and single family residences.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in architecture, civil or mechanical engineering or a related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- Experience working on threshold projects, as defined by Connecticut General Statute 29-276b.
- Experience providing education to design professionals, contractors and code officials.
- Experience using software for permits, construction document review and inspection reports.
Incumbents in this class will be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications including licensure as a building official or to become licensed within three (3) months of appointment.
Incumbents in this class will be required to complete ninety (90) hours of job related continuing education every three (3) years in accordance with Section 29-262(b) of the Connecticut General Statutes.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical ability and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some risk of injury or physical harm from exposure to building construction sites and other building site environments, and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year-round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.