Are you looking to enter and grow in the Accounting field? If so, please consider applying for this awesome opportunity as an Accounting Careers Trainee!
Who We Are: The Office of Finance is comprised of three Divisions (Budget Services, Capital Services, and Financial Management & Support) responsible for providing the business and financial support, budgeting, accounting, accounts receivable, and federal and state funding management necessary to meet the needs of the Department. Office of Finance staff help plan for, monitor and control the expenses that the Department incurs while maintaining and improving the State’s rails, buses, highways, bridges, pedestrian routes and various other projects.
Position Details: The recruited position(s) will perform a full range of accounting duties related to the financial oversight of various offices within DOT. Responsibilities, which vary by Division, may include tasks associated with consultant agreements, Metro North and Amtrak invoices, budget oversight, accounts receivable billing, financial reporting, and other related accounting functions. Additionally, the duties include regular communication with project managers and staff throughout the Department along with outside vendors on a variety of job-related topics including budgets and contract agreements. The selected candidate should have excellent communication and organizational skills as well as the ability to build and maintain professional working relationships with staff throughout the Department. It is anticipated that this recruitment will be used for future vacancies.
Note: As an Accounting Careers Trainee you will be a part of a 1 or 2 year training program depending on your level of education.
- The length of the training program is 2 years for individuals with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or in a closely related business field with at least 15 semester hours in accounting.
- The length of the training program is 1 year for individuals with a Master’s degree in accounting or in a closely related business field with at least 15 semester hours in accounting.
- The length of the training program for an individual who earns a Master’s degree in accounting or in a closely related business field with at least 15 semester hours in accounting while assigned to this classification is 1 year from the date the Master’s degree is conferred or the end of the original 2 year training period, whichever comes first.
What We Can Offer You: We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off, and so much more. We encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees!
All state employees shall follow Executive Order
13G (as amended by Executive Order 14C).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- *For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Hayley Newhouse at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for mastering the skills necessary to satisfactorily complete the training program for a professional accounting or auditing position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Receives training in introductory accounting or auditing work for development of skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement into a professional agency accounting or auditing position; performs a variety of increasingly difficult duties as skills are acquired during the course of the training period; examines financial records of governmental or private businesses and accounting methods and procedures to ensure compliance with statutes, regulations, guidelines or accepted accounting principles; may receive training in such areas as maintaining financial records and accounts, establishing financial statements and schedules, and preparing budget estimates; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of accounting and auditing principles and practices; knowledge of business mathematics and statistics; some knowledge of business uses of information technology; some knowledge of effective report writing; ability to read and understand written materials; ability to utilize computer software.
Possession of a Bachelor's or Master's degree in accounting or in a closely related business field with at least 15 semester hours in accounting.
- Possession of a Bachelor or Masters of Science Degree in Accounting.
- Experience showcasing verbal and written communication skills either through work experience, course work, or internships.
- Experience using computer software applications (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook, Access, Peoplesoft).
- Experience exercising time management and independent judgment skills.
- Experience preparing detailed financial reports.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.