Located in New Britain, CT, Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) is a constituent unit of the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR), Connecticut State Colleges and Universities. As one of the State of Connecticut institutions of higher learning, CCSU is a regional, comprehensive public university dedicated to learning in the liberal arts and sciences and to education for the professions. CCSU offers a vibrant learning-centered community dedicated to teaching and to scholarship.
We are accepting applications from candidates who meet the qualifications for Qualified Craft Worker (Locksmith) in the Facilities Management Department. This position is 1st shift, with a schedule of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, 37.5 hours per week.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. Candidates invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation which supports their qualification(s) for these position, such as a resume, performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
All communication with applicants will be through the JobAps system, so applicants are encouraged to check for updates to their JobAps portal account. Please ensure that you are utilizing the correct email address for notices to be sent to you from the JobAps system. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
NOTE: The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
All state employees shall follow Executive Order
13G (as amended by Executive Order 14C).
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of highly skilled duties in one of the following trade areas: electrical, plumbing and steamfitting, utilities or heating, ventilation and refrigeration.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring application of trade skills, codes and standard trade practices in electrical, plumbing, utilities, or HVACR trade areas; makes estimates of time, personnel and determines and obtains required materials; keeps necessary records; may perform duties related to similar trade areas as required; may act as liaison with other operating units and outside contacts; may operate heavy equipment; may respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at state owned airports; performs related duties as required. Maintains, repairs and installs locking, mechanical and electronic door closing equipment; makes new or duplicate keys and changes lock combinations using hand tools and special equipment; disassembles locks and repairs or replaces worn tumblers, springs and other parts; rebuilds cylinders; sets up and maintains key control and issuing system.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply standard tools, materials, methods and practices of locksmithing; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in locksmithing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in locksmithing.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted at the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern in a designated maintenance trade area may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
3. Experience performing technical duties within a designated maintenance trade area on a military base, aircraft carrier or large compound may be substituted for the General and Special Experience on a year for year basis.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications including possession and retention of an Unlimited Journeyperson's license in locksmithing.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain specific education and/or experience to meet various certification requirements.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles; and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment, extreme weather conditions and/or environmental conditions.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.