Are you a current Connecticut State Department of Education employee? Do you enjoy making nutritious and delicious meals for students? If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut
, Department of Education (SDE
), is now accepting applications for a part-time (32.5 hours per week) Float Cook
role located at Henry Abbott Technical High School in Danbury, CT.
It is Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS
) mission to provide a world-class, unique, and rigorous learning environment for high school students and adult learners that:
- Ensures both student academic success and career technical education mastery, as well as promotes enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
- Prepares students for post-secondary education, including apprenticeships and immediate productive employment.
- Engages regional, state, national and international employers and industries in a vibrant collaboration to respond to current, emerging and changing global workforce needs and expectations.
- Pursues and participates in global partnerships that provide CTECS students with international exposure and experience.
The Role & Schedule: CTECS serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students. You will work in the school cafeteria in a high school environment, Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Note: This is a 10-month opportunity. You will be assigned as necessary to regional alternate sites (Milford, Stamford, Bridgeport). Please be sure to select all the locations listed on this job posting, failure to do so may result in not being considered for this role.
All state employees shall follow Executive Order 13G (as amended by Executive Order 14C).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Education, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- *For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions about this recruitment please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks involved in preparing and cooking food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Prepares and cooks a wide variety of foods including special diets; operates various types of cooking equipment such as stoves, ovens, steam cookers, mixing machines, choppers, etc.; cleans kitchen areas and equipment; rotates stock on a regular basis; assists with the ordering of food and supplies; inspects food received; may serve food or assist in serving; may prepare production records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply cooking principles and techniques on a quantity basis; knowledge of liquid and dry weights and measures; some knowledge of health and safety requirements in food service; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; some ability to utilize computer software; some ability in menu preparation and record keeping; some mathematical ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the preparation of food on a quantity basis.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Successful completion of a cook training course under the auspices of State or Federal Apprentice Training Bureaus may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
- Experience in an institutional Food Service environment such as a school, hospital, or other large volume production kitchen.
- Experience following a standardized recipe and completing required production records.
- Possession of or ability to acquire a ServSafe certification or other comparable certification.
- Experience using commercial kitchen equipment such as convection ovens, steamers, tilt skillets, and dish machines.
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from individuals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.