Are you an innovative leader who can tackle sophisticated problems in collaborative ways? Do you drive positive outcomes, while encouraging inclusion among diverse, technical teams? Like us, is service at the core of everything you do?
The State of Connecticut
is undergoing a strategic optimization of our Information Technology (IT) resources, to deliver enterprise-wide services, in more efficient and innovative ways. We are setting trends, not following them. As part of these efforts, the Department of Administrative Services Bureau of Enterprise Systems and Technology (DAS BEST
) is joining forces with the majority of Executive Branch, Agency IT organizations, to form a new, centralized team under the Bureau of Information Technology Solutions (Bits).
We are thrilled to announce our search for a dynamic and collaborative professional who will serve as Mainframe Operating Systems Programmer (IT Subject Matter Expert
). This is a full-time, 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday position located at 55 Farmington Avenue in Hartford.
You will report directly to the Compute Services Mainframe Manager, you will have responsibility for assisting with the lead support for the enterprise mainframe infrastructure. More detailed examples of duties are listed below.
What We Can Offer You:
Competitive starting salary, excellent State benefits package
including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a) .
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Connect With Us:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jennifer Neumann at email@example.com
and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency supporting a highly complex Information Technology (IT) environment this class is accountable for functioning as a Subject Matter Expert in one of the following functional IT areas: networking, security, systems development, systems programming or database administration. This class also provides technical leadership and consultation in the areas of architecture, application design, systems programming, system integration, and/or database management OR the analysis, development and operational support of highly complex technologies affecting multiple infrastructure areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Primary tasks being installing, customizing, tuning, and maintaining the IBM mainframe operating system z/OS using SMP/E
- MVS systems programming activities such as system performance, problem determination and resolution.
- Installing, customizing, tuning, and maintaining JES2
- Configuring, testing, tuning, maintaining, and support UNIX System Services (USS) used by mainframe sub-system and ISV products
- Installing, configuring, tuning, and maintaining system software products and tools for the mainframe environment
- Knowledge of mainframe storage and backup providing guidance to CICS, DB2 and IMS systems programmers
- Monitor and manage space and assist with the purge of obsolete data and reclaim space
- Hands on experience of IBM mainframe IPL process managing multiple z/OS LPARs as required
- Troubleshoot job failures and work with Operations as required
- Assisting and participating in disaster recovery tests
- Collaborate with IT security to ensure compliance and security requirements are adequately maintained
- Collaborate with customers, technology analysts, support staff and other stakeholders to understand requirements, build unified vision on solution options and coordinate and produce presentation of findings and recommendations
- Other duties can be found here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of current methods of information systems analysis, design and development; considerable knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of information technology; considerable knowledge of applications systems development principles, techniques and development; considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of computer programming and languages; considerable knowledge of principles and theories of business planning functions; considerable knowledge of project management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis and design; considerable knowledge of computer operating systems and databases; considerable knowledge of business re-engineering process; considerable knowledge of principles of data modeling and related tools; considerable knowledge of distributed systems architecture, network, middleware and object oriented analysis; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable analytical and problem solving skills; considerable ability to develop and implement system security and disaster recovery plans; considerable ability to identify, analyze and resolve highly complex business and technical problems; considerable ability to conduct highly complex detailed analysis and design of major computer systems and networks; considerable ability to develop reports, manuals and documentation.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of experience in infrastructure systems support, programming, database administration, systems/software development, networking or technical support.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing advanced
technical level duties or as a working supervisor in such areas as:
designing, configuring and implementing
complex networks; configuring, installing and upgrading host based applications
packages and host and/or operating system software; system software/application
development, performing any closely related advanced technical function.
NOTE: For state employees this is interpreted at the level of
Information Technology Analyst 3.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience with International Business Machines mainframe zOS operating system.
- Experience installing, configuring and maintaining zOS mainframe operating system and mainframe products.
- Experience performing systems planning and customization.
- Experience with problem determination and resolution.
- Experience working in a collaborative multi-client environment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.