Are you a current Department of Developmental Services (DDS) employee who has experience training staff in standard methodologies and additional career development opportunities? If this sounds like you, we invite you to learn more about this exciting opportunity!
The State of Connecticut, DDS - Central Office - has one (1) current full-time job opportunities for a Trainer with the Educational Support and Staff Development Division based out of the our Cheshire Office. We expect future vacancies in other locations including Hartford, New Haven, Norwich, Putnam, Southbury, Stratford, Torrington, and Wallingford. These will all be full-time, 40 hours per week positions, with a Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm work schedule.
- However, work schedule flexibility is required in order to meet the demands of the job
In this role, we would entrust you to prepare and conduct training programs to help our staff stay be successful in their roles. Additionally, along with the duties as assigned, we would have you:
- Assist in the planning, development, coordination, and evaluation of comprehensive training programs
- Develop course curricula, objectives, and content
- Actively research innovative ways to teach our staff
As a state employee, you would continue to be able to participate in our competitive benefits plan which includes health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals.
We hope you take this opportunity to continue your career with us and make an impact by serving your state!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Developmental Services, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a) .
Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Please note you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process. Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. If selected for further consideration, State employees may be required to provide last 2 service ratings last 2 attendance records. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Renee LaBarge, DDS EEO Director at 860-418-6022 or Renee.LaBarge@ct.gov.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives at Ethan.Ives@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in preparing and conducting training programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Prepares and conducts training courses; assists in planning, developing, coordinating and evaluating comprehensive training programs; conducts needs assessments; develops course objectives, curricula, outlines and contents; selects and develops training methods and materials; researches learning material and resources; monitors and evaluates training courses and participants progress; provides technical assistance and consultation; maintains records and prepares reports; organizes and maintains a library of training materials; may conduct drills and exercises; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles and techniques of training and staff development; knowledge of education methods and techniques; ability to assess training needs and determine objectives; ability to develop, organize and conduct training courses; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of technical experience in training, staff development, or adult education.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Preference will be given to those who possess the following:
- Experience with SABA platform
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, including experience utilizing the more advanced functionalities of Excel
- Experience with online learning design tools such as SnagIt, Articulate or Lectora
- Experience utilizing a wide range of computer software programs including learning new proprietary systems
- Experience teaching adults by utilizing adult learning principals
- Experience teaching, employing best practices of training, and providing staff development
- Experience developing, organizing, and conducting training courses in an interactive, participant-focused style, with a focus on creativity and flexibility
- Experience presenting curriculum in its written form as well as in its entirety
- Experience operating and troubleshooting technical problems for multiple types of equipment typically used in training presentations (e.g. laptops, PCs, projectors, sound systems, etc.)
- Experience coordinating trainings on multiple shifts
- Experience managing a cadre of potentially 30 or more adjunct instructors
- Experience problem-solving current and planning for future problems using logical judgement
- Experience communicating with a diverse population in a clear and amicable manner
- Experience functioning in a matrix management environment
- Experience successfully implementing new initiatives while balancing competing priorities and/or stakeholders
- Certified in American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) as a Basic Life Support (BLS) instructor to train both blended and classroom format
- Current Physical Management Technics (PMT) certified Instructor to teach both classroom and blended formats
- Experienced with Proctoring Medical Administration Examination
- Experienced with opening and closing classes in SABA
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess specialized certifications for designated positions prior to appointment.
2 Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
3 Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.