The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS), is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
Are you a self-starter? Do you have a passion for supporting others? Do you want to make a difference while participating in a dynamic and reciprocal health care environment in the public sector? If so, we have an excellent opportunity for you to join our hospital’s team.
The DMHAS, Connecticut Valley Hospital (CVH) seeks a qualified individual for the position of Nurse within Addiction Services Division (ASD). This position is located on Merritt 2 A/B, Male Rehabilitation Unit, 1000 Silver Street in Middletown, CT. The work schedule is full-time, 35 hours per week, 3rd shift, 11:15 p.m. to 7:15 a.m., 72-72-72, including every other weekend and holidays. The position number is 127645.
Our mission in ASD is to stabilize, assist clients in develop coping skills,
and help clients move into the recovery zone. Merritt 2 A/B is a
30-bed male intensive rehabilitation unit using evidence-based practices with
an emphasis on gender-specific treatment and trauma informed services guide
aspects of care planning. As part of the discharge planning process, clients
are assisted in connecting to continuing care and associated community support
services, including medication assisted treatment when indicated.
At CVH, individuals receive services that assist them to better manage their illnesses, achieve personal goals, and develop skills and supports that lead to living the most constructive and satisfying lives possible.
In this role you will discover the opportunity to:
- Be a part of a comprehensive team of caring professionals;
- Provide support to hospital that is passionate about improving the
lives of those we serve;
- Assist our clients and employees so they can achieve success;
- Make a difference in the public sector; and
- Work together in a collaborative team environment.
What’s in It for You - Competitive Benefits:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and
- Comprehensive pension plan and supplemental retirement
- Retirement healthcare offerings;
- Accrued vacation, personal and sick leave;
- Professional growth and development opportunities;
- Healthy work-life balance!
Additionally, each Registered Nurse who is permanently assigned to the second or third shift shall receive a “recruitment and retention” yearly bonus of three thousand dollars ($3,000.00). In order to be eligible for this bonus, the Employee must have completed one year of service in the registered nurse classification.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
*You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
As a reminder:
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
Should you have questions
pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Doreen Clemson at Doreen.Clemson@ct.gov or (860) 785-9855.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for providing a full range of professional nursing care.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Independently implements the nursing process with individuals including carrying out physicians orders regarding diet, medication and treatment; performs assessments; changes dressings; monitors and ensures quality care through observation and evaluation; reports on physiological and mental health status of individuals; documents nursing interventions on medical records; distributes and maintains records of controlled drugs and insures their security; maintains records and makes reports; makes decisions in routine cases; instructs individuals, staff and family members regarding treatments, nursing plans and related individual care issues directed towards an awareness and understanding of health/mental health issues; responds to emergencies; maintains availability of medications and supplies; ensures cleanliness of equipment and environment; may participate as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team in the assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of individuals treatment or health/mental health care plans; may formulate and implement nursing care plans; may participate in outpatient clinics and assist in physical examinations; may administer routine tests; may conduct training; may delegate nursing tasks consistent with established protocols; may participate in psychotherapeutic and rehabilitation interventions; may physically restrain individuals; may provide related medical or mental health specialty services; may serve as Qualified Intellectual Disability Professional; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply professional nursing theory, practice and ethics; knowledge of current medications, their actions, interactions, uses and side effects; knowledge of medical, therapeutic and psychiatric nursing interventions and methods; knowledge of and ability to apply quality standards, procedures and protocols; knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic difference; knowledge of and ability to apply clinical therapeutic models of individual care with emphasis on interdisciplinary team approach; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to act as a role model to health care staff by demonstrating and teaching professional behaviors; ability to learn specialized individual care applicable to work assignment; ability to listen and provide empathetic assistance to individuals and families in meeting their needs and carrying out prescribed treatments; ability to develop therapeutic relationships with individuals, and their caregivers; ability to respond to emergencies; ability to respond to and seek supervision; ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation, pride trust and group identity to foster commitment and team work; ability to analyze and evaluate proper care and treatment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited nursing program.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license or temporary permit as a Registered Professional Nurse in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to be fluent in a foreign language or proficient in the use of the American Sign Language in certain designated positions.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.