Do you have knowledge of the reserving techniques and actuarial standards of practice? Are you looking to advance your career in public service? If yes, we have an exciting opportunity for you!
Who We Are
Our mission at the State of Connecticut
, Connecticut Insurance Department (CID)
is consumer protection. The department carries out its mission by enforcing state insurance laws to ensure policy holders are treated fairly, by providing assistance, outreach and education to help consumers make sound choices and by regulating the industry in a fair and consistent manner that fosters market competition for availability of insurance.
The CID is currently recruiting for a Data Scientist
position for the Department of Insurance. We are located at 153 Market Street in Downtown Hartford, easily accessible for all commuters. This position is full-time, 40 hours a week, Monday-Friday.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Data Science Program – Continue developing the processes to use the databases/reports at CID to monitor the financial solvency of the insurance companies and the marketing conducts in availability and affordability, complaints, etc.
- Climate Risk Reporting – Develop the program to monitor the climate risk related activities.
- Cyber Risk – Develop a monitoring measurement as an early indicators to prevent financial failure of the cyber risk insurance markets in CT.
- AI, ML and Predictive Modeling projects – Assist in developing the program to validate the data usage, modeling risks, etc.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a) .
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jennifer Neumann at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the recruitment number.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for directing and conducting the most complex and specialized research investigations/evaluations, statistical analysis and/or data driven studies/projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Applies statistical and research principles and techniques to a wide variety of issues and projects;
develops research designs and statistically sound protocols and works with staff to carry out specific
research studies; develops statistical and computerized models for analyzing data and interprets
results to support business and client needs and facilitate informed recommendations and decisions;
performs complex statistical analyses such as predictive modeling, forecasting, multiple regression,
trend analysis, log linear analysis, factor analysis, and multi-variate analysis; uses parametric and non-parametric statistics; selects, designs, organizes and works out statistical techniques and research
designs most suitable for the project/study at hand; evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of various
statistical techniques and research designs, selecting those which achieve the most valid results;
conducts in-depth literature searches and writes scientific papers; instructs staff in research and
statistical techniques, methods, and use of statistical analysis software; oversees the production of
research proposals, development and maintenance of databases, and interpretation, and writing of
research and statistical reports for various intra and extra departmental audiences; may assist in the
planning, design, selection, and evaluation of technologies related to data retrieval and analysis;
performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of methods of research design, statistical analysis and database
management; considerable knowledge of management systems research and development related to
social and economic trends; considerable knowledge of relevant State and Federal statutes,
regulations and guidelines; knowledge of data processing computer programming for statistical
analysis; knowledge of data retrieval and analysis methods; considerable written and oral
communication skills; considerable interpersonal skills; ability to conduct longitudinal
investigations/research, including interviewing and performing trend analyses and outcome
effectiveness studies; ability to analyze and evaluate data using multiple regression, log linear
analyses, factor analyses and multi-variate analyses; ability to use statistical packages and/or various
data modeling platforms; ability to design and conduct studies and determine effective solutions; ability
to write technical reports; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Master’s degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, public health, psychology, statistics or a closely
related area with significant coursework in research methodology and statistics and one (1) year of
professional experience with significant involvement in research and statistical analysis.
- Experience presenting regulatory positions and determinations to insurance company representatives.
- Experience applying statistical research and techniques to projects.
- Experience using Statistical Analysis System (SAS), Revolutionary R, other computer programming software systems.
- Experience applying the reserving techniques and actuarial standards of practice.
- Experience applying, interpreting, and researching relevant State and Federal statutes and regulations.
- Experience of machine learning techniques: clustering, regression, classification, graphical models, and mixture models.
- Experience in the United States insurance industry.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.