Are you an experienced Human Resources Staffing Specialist with a passion for finding innovative hiring solutions while providing a high level of customer service to hiring managers and candidates? Are you looking to join a team that offers learning opportunities and clear growth potential?
Who We Are
- Support Connecticut's Growth - To serve our citizens, businesses, state agencies and other branches of government by providing the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost.
- Drive Continuous Innovation - To increase the efficiency and effectiveness of state government using best practices from the public and private sectors.
- Provide Rewarding Careers - To attract and retain a workforce of hardworking, dedicated public servants committed to leading our phenomenal state forward.
The Department of Administrative Services (DAS) Human Resources (HR) has multiple opportunities to serve as a Human Resources Generalist 2 (Staffing), deployed onsite at one of our Executive Branch Agencies. In this role, you are accountable for providing onsite agency staffing support, including but not limited to, workforce planning, classification/organizational design consultation, recruitment, hiring and onboarding. Your impact is critical to the Human Resources function as you will participate in programs that directly impact the health, safety, and wellbeing of the agency's workforce.
Discover the opportunity to:
• Collaborate with agency managers and staff on mission driven strategies, human resources policies and procedures, proper organizational structure, and use of appropriate job classes;
• Address talent needs and other key issues to ensure alignment and with statewide goals and applicable laws;
• Utilize your technical staffing skills and communication strengths to guide, coordinate with and support agency managers and employees
You will receive administrative, day-to-day, and/or operational direction from a DAS HR Business Partner (HR Director) or another HR position of a higher level.
*Please select all location(s) in which you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location. Positions may be located in, but are not limited to, the following locations: East Hartford, Hartford, Middletown, Newington, Wallingford, and Wethersfield; however, you may be required to travel to locations throughout the state depending on assignment.
Agency Assignment: In this role, you may be assigned to support one of the following agencies: Department of Public Health, Department of Labor, Department of Developmental Services, Department of Children and Families, Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS), State Department of Education, Department of Motor Vehicles, Department of Correction, Department of Administrative Services, Department of Transportation, Department of Social Services, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, Department of Revenue Services, and Department of Aging and Disability Services.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 40 hours per week with flexible hours (within reason). Combination telework/in-office presence currently available.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a) .
Important Information After You Apply:
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. We are no longer accepting resumes in accordance with PA 21-69. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) in which you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- We may choose to review applications generated from this posting to fill Human Resources Generalist 2 positions at various locations throughout the State. If so, these positions will NOT be posted separately on JobAps. When a new, similar Human Resources Generalist 2 (Deployed to Multiple Agencies) posting is announced (with a recruitment number ending in RP), you must re-apply for consideration.
- Note: We may have a need to post a job opening for a more ‘specific’ Human Resources Generalist 2 position geared toward their specific position(s). Those types of job openings on JobAps will NOT use applications from this recruitment pool. You must apply to those postings in order to be considered for appointment to those specific position(s). We encourage you to apply to each Human Resources Generalist 2 posting you’re interested in. Please sign up for Interest Cards to be notified when Human Resources Generalist 2 recruitments are posted.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jennifer Neumann via email to email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Administrative Services, this class is deployed at an agency and is accountable for independently performing a full range of human resources duties as an agency business partner.
In a state agency outside of the State's centralized Human Resources structure, this class will be accountable for independently performing a full range of human resources and other related duties.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Advises agency staff on human resources policies and procedures, proper organizational structure and use of appropriate job classifications, talent needs, etc.;
- Partners with DAS service delivery teams and specialized units to appropriately deliver solutions for agency human resources needs;
- Communicates with agency managers, bargaining unit representatives and other interested parties to ensure cooperative relationships;
- Approves agency’s classification and position management transactions and ensures proper organizational structure;
- Assists in ensuring compliance with applicable state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Advises employees on matters related to employment, career development, transfer, separation, recruitment, examinations, and/or compensation;
- Performs job audits, or other fact finding techniques, related to individual job classification and job classification studies;
- Facilitates human resource transactions, including promotions, demotions, transfers;
- Maintains human resource information systems within assigned agency;
Independently handles reclassification grievances;
- Administers various areas of the recruitment process, including clearing of mandatory lists, interviewing, selection and on-boarding hires;
- Prepares or oversees the preparation and maintenance of relevant documentation and records;
- Counsels and makes referrals to employee assistance programs;
- May assist, coordinate, implement, oversee, and/or provide training and/or staff development programs;
- May support related agency strategic needs;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of: human resources management and relevant state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
Knowledge of: employment practices related to civil rights, equal employment opportunity, job classification, recruitment and selection, compensation and benefit programs, pay administration, workers compensation, human resources information systems and labor relations;
Considerable: interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills and conflict resolution skills;
Ability to: work effectively in a matrixed organization; analyze and balance customer’s needs with laws, regulations, policies, procedures and collective bargaining agreements;
Ability to: supervise, strategically plan, including succession planning, and ability to apply innovative solutions to organizational problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years professional experience in human resources management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the junior working level in human resources management.
For state employees, this is interpreted at the level of Human Resources Generalist 1 or Human Resources Associate.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in human resources management, labor relations, business administration, public administration or other closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- An undergraduate degree or higher
- Experience providing professional staffing/talent acquisition support within a matrixed agency or organization
- Experience managing a recruitment portfolio within a large agency or company (large meaning 1,000+ employees)
- Experience performing full-cycle recruitment
- Experience directly consulting hiring managers on recruitment
- Experience using recruiting/staffing metrics and analytics to make business decisions
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.