Are you looking for the next step in your Accounting career? If so, we encourage you to apply today!
About us: The Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) is the state's lead agency responsible for strengthening Connecticut’s competitive economic position and provides financial, and technical assistance to municipalities, businesses, community development, tourism, culture, and arts organizations. DECD also provides administrative support services to the Department of Housing. Additional information can be obtained at: Department of Economic Community Development and Connecticut State Auditors of Public Accounts.
The Role: This position is located at 450 Columbus Blvd., Hartford. It is full time, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, however, must be flexible in order to meet the needs of the agency. The ideal candidate for this position will lead a small team with diverse responsibilities, complex accounting, and the challenge of continuously enhancing operations.
Discovery the Opportunity as Associate Accountant to:
- Lead accounting staff for Federal Grants program and Bond Fund account management.
- Develop policies and procedures, work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders to assist in the implementation of new programs.
- Review work of staff; provide staff training and assistance.
- Lead change initiatives to improve efficiency.
- Provide support to internal departments.
- Establishes processes or procedures to assist in the implementation of new programs.
- Maintains agency and state required reports.
- Establishes and maintains unit accounting procedures including EDP procedures.
- Maintain monthly agency and state required reports, prepare and review of complex financial reports and documents such as GAAP, SEFA and Federal SF425 forms.
- Interpret Federal contracts and guidelines to ensure compliance.
- Interpret state statute and legislation, assist in responding to audit requests and developing corrective action plans.
- Lead LEAN initiatives or process improvement.
Work/Life Balance & Employee Value Proposition (EVP): Full-time, Monday - Friday, 1st shift, 40 hours per week in Hartford, CT. Benefits include comprehensive health coverage, retirement savings options, paid time off, work-life balance, and more.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DECD is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing the most complex accounting tasks within a variety of accounting programs and systems. This class may also be accountable for lead or consultative responsibility.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Establishes and implements accounting sub-systems such as procedures for paying and collecting activities, procedures for issuance of grants, loans or subsidies, establishment of rates or schedules of fees, establishment of account charts for classification of transactions; maintains fiscal controls by authorizing non-routine expenditures based on management priorities and policies, examining data and making recommendations regarding timing and amounts of expenditures; manages various phases of budget preparation and control such as preparing estimates of costs of existing or new programs, offices or divisions, preparing budget requests, appropriation schedules, monthly budget reports and year end budget reports; administers fiscal aspects of grant programs by reviewing funding applications for approval, researching and preparing estimates of costs of proposed grant programs, interpreting grant contracts for approval of grant expenditures, analyzing grantees financial records and reports for compliance with grant expenditure requirements; monitors fiscal aspects of contract administration by reviewing and interpreting contracts for approval on non-routine expenditures, preparing or approving schedules of fees in regard to specific contracts; determines priorities; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may coordinate unit workflow; may assign and review work; may establish and maintain unit procedures; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices including governmental accounting and budgeting; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to analyze and evaluate financial records, methods and procedures; ability to devise and install accounting procedures and systems; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the level of Accountant, Auditor or Accounts Examiner with responsibility for the exercise of independent analysis and judgement in the application of professional accounting principles and practices.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) year of the General and Special Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
• Experience in supervising an accounting team.
• Experience collaborating with internal and external stakeholders.
• Experience in Federal Fund management including accounting and Grant management.
• Experience in Bond Fund management including accounting and analyses.
• Experience developing and implementing programs.
• Experience in leading LEAN initiatives or process improvement.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.