Who We Are:
Our mission at the State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services (DAS) - Bureau of Enterprise Systems and Technology (BEST), is to strive to promote timely, fair, competent, cost-effective services to address the needs of state agencies, municipalities, and the public.
DAS BEST is currently seeking a Deputy Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) (Information Technology Manager 3) who will ensure federal and industry regulatory compliance for Payment Card Industry, Federal Tax Information, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Social Security Administration etc. for executive branch systems. You will serve as the primary coordinator for audit and compliance within DAS/BEST and across all executive branch agencies in the enterprise IT environment.
The Deputy CISO reports to the Chief Information Security Officer and is responsible for day-to-day operations to support and augment the CISO’s overall responsibilities. The Deputy CISO is the functional backup to the Connecticut Chief Information Security Officer. This position requires strong written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to communicate detailed technical information in a manner comprehensible by individuals at varying degrees of experience and skill. The role requires the ability to speak confidently in front of large groups and with senior management, vendors and service providers. The Deputy CISO also contributes to the IT security strategy and roadmap. Strong program and project management skills.
This is a full time (40 hour) position working Monday through Friday. The position is located at 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT.
There are many reasons to make an impact by serving your state including limitless opportunities
, and our emphasis on diversity and new perspectives, meaningful work, and healthy work/life balance.
We also offer leading comprehensive benefits
including a competitive salary structure, excellent health & dental coverage, generous vacation, personal, and sick time, retirement plan options & more!
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F
(3a) and 13G
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job classification.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
Within a state agency information technology division, these classes are accountable for the management and direction of information systems, applications development, systems maintenance, and similar information technology functions as well as technical and support staff.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Additionally, you will:
- Interface with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center to protect the state’s critical infrastructure from cyber threats that would impact business and government operations, scanning the network, devices and servers, analyzing data and reports and initiating mitigation to enable security and protection of the State network against vulnerabilities and threats.
- Serve as a liaison with Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security and federal entities in relation to exercise planning to ensure the State is prepared to respond to cyber incidents.
- Manager for the state Cyber Security Awareness Training program which is required to maintain compliance standards and protect the state network.
- As the Manager of the information security team, this role will help coordinate the compliance activities of the group and will help track remediation efforts across multiple agencies.
- Additional duties can be found here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
· Plan and Deploy for Business Results, which includes the ability to develop and implement business plans, IT plans, budget plans, and human resource plans in order to maximize budget allocations, technology, personnel and other resources to achieve agency and program goals.
· Lead Change, which includes innovation, the ability to be a creative problem solver and a strategic thinker, and the ability to recognize and develop opportunities to grow and develop information technology services in response to customers and a changing work environment
· Focus on Results and Quality, including exercising and promoting accountability, and the ability to analyze surveys, financial and other data, and use strategic planning and performance measurement techniques to continuously improve performance and maintain competitiveness
· Understand Customers and Markets, which includes the ability to establish customer satisfaction and loyalty, forecast and conduct market analyses, keep ahead of industry trends and incorporate “best practices” into information technology operations.
· Lead People, including the ability to resolve conflict, communicate effectively, coach and train employees, recognize performance, and foster diversity and teamwork.
· Build Coalitions, including the ability to explain and advocate facts and ideas in a convincing manner, to negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally, to gain cooperation from others, and to identify the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization.
· Business Knowledge, including knowledge of the technical, professional, procedural and legal requirements of the specific information technology area.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Ten (10) years of experience in computer or network administration, architecture, operations, production control, systems development, information technology analysis and planning.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in a managerial capacity.
Note: For State Employees, this is interpreted to be at the level of an Information Technology Manager 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in computer science, management information systems or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor’s Degree.
2. A Master’s Degree in computer science, management information systems or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- 10+ years' cybersecurity experience;
- 5+ years' operationally focused security practitioner role experience;
- Program and project management skills;
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional), CISM (Certified Information Security Manager), CRISC (Certified in Risk and Information System Control) or CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor) certification preferred.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.