Are you a current Department of Transportation (DOT) employee looking to advance your career within the agency? Do you want to continue to help make commuting and traveling throughout CT safe? If so, read below & apply today! If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for an exciting Transportation Garage Supervisor role in the Willington Repair Facility. Our mission to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
- You must hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B with tank endorsement and a Medical Examiners Card (MEC). Please list your license number, class, expiration date, and issuing state in the "Licenses and Professional Certificates" section of your application.
- If invited for interview you will be required to produce a copy of your current valid CDL Class A or B, reflecting tank endorsement, valid MEC and a copy of your Master Application at the time of interview.
- You must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever your services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
- Various storm events will require you to stay at work for the duration of the storm. At times this could be up to a period of several days, including holidays and weekends.
- This is a full-time, Monday-Friday opportunity.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- *For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for supervising a maintenance and repair garage for automotive, highway or airport maintenance equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews the work of staff; provides staff training and assistance; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans garage work; establishes and maintains garage procedures; develops or makes recommendations on the development of policies and standards; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence; inspects vehicles and equipment to test effectiveness of repairs; performs or closely supervises intricate repair jobs involving special assignments; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to diagnose motor and equipment problems and to use complicated testing equipment and welding devices; knowledge of record keeping and inventory procedures; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; skill in operation, repair and maintenance of automotive, highway and/or airport maintenance equipment; ability to utilize computer software; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Five (5) years of experience in the repair and maintenance of automotive, highway and/or airport maintenance equipment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been as a highly skilled mechanic.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at or above the level of Qualified Craft Worker (Automotive and Mechanical Equipment) or Transportation Maintainer 4.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in automotive repair may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
- Experience working with Diesel and Equipment Repair practices and principals
- Experience working in a high production environment
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate will be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents may be required to lift; may be exposed to some risk of injury from equipment.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.