The State of Connecticut
, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS
) is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
The Southwest Connecticut Mental Health System
(SWCMHS), with three locations throughout Fairfield County, promotes and administers comprehensive recovery-oriented services in the areas of mental health treatment and substance abuse prevention and treatment. These services include inpatient treatment programs and outpatient clinical services, as well as a wide range of additional supportive treatment services.
Are you looking to put your knowledge and experiences of the trades to work? If so, we encourage you to apply today! We currently seek one experienced and qualified individual for the position of a Skilled Maintainer (PCN 112831) within the Plant Operations Unit. This is a full-time, 37.50 hours per week position. The schedule is first shift, 6:30am to 3:00pm rotating weekends and holidays. We are located at 1635 Central Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06610.
Discover the opportunity to:
- Be a member of a vibrant maintenance team who provides highly skilled work.
- Utilize your skills in running a skilled trade area.
- Utilize your abilities to positively engage and motivate staff.
- Utilize your skills and knowledge to enhance department functions.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications
to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job class.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines
as listed in Executive Orders 13F
(3a) and 13G
This posting may
require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these
RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or
by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification
Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the
question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps
Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk
folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places
auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
Correspondence - Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as
a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on
a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete
tasks required in the recruitment process.
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual
language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Candidates who meet the Minimum Qualifications - as listed on the job opening -
will be considered for this role, as determined by qualifications stated on the
Note: At any point during the recruitment process,
applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support
their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may
include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records,
supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring
agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to
apply for this position.
experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job
opening, unless otherwise specified.
You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your
application for this posting to the JobAps system.
Should you have questions regarding this recruitment please
contact Andrew Pebley at Andrew.Pebley@ct.gov
or (860) 785-6185.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing one or more tasks of a skilled nature (requiring prior experience or training, below the level of a specialized trades worker which would give the incumbent proficiency in required knowledges, skills and abilities on the first day of the job) in addition to performing lower level duties. Only complex tasks should be learned on the job. Tasks performed will be in one or several of the following areas:
1. Building and equipment maintenance (operational and remedial) including the operation of trucks of 5 ton or greater capacity or complex motorized equipment.
2. Grounds care as a supervisor and/or specialized landscaping functions.
3. Assists Qualified Craft Workers or other higher level employees in the trades areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
FOR ALL AREAS:
Keeps records and prepares reports (this should be related to the duties and not a full time office recordkeeping position); performs related duties as required.
In addition to trades tasks performed by lower level maintainers performs the following skilled tasks for a substantial amount of time (75%) as an assistant to a trades person: construction, maintenance and repair as a painter, plasterer, carpenter, electrician, mason, plumber and/or steamfitter, tinsmith or comparable trades person.
These are only examples of types of tasks a Skilled Maintainer may be expected to perform. Incumbents in this class will also be expected to perform related duties as required. Tasks should only be assigned if they are of the appropriate skill level (as defined in the Purpose of Class).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of methods, tools, equipment, materials and procedures of specific trade or work area concerned; some knowledge of maintenance problems and their proper handling; skill in manual and machine operations of trade or work area; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; ability to follow written and oral instructions; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in one of the following areas:
1. One of the skilled trades
2. Landscape maintenance or vegetable gardening
3. Operation of motor trucks or large buses.
The experience area should reflect the needs of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for the General Experience.
Our preferred candidate will have:
- Experience working in a Mental Health Hospital setting.
- Experience performing repairs in a hospital setting.
- Experience providing written and oral reports to supervisors/managers.
- Experience providing written and oral instructions to subordinates.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Excel and Word.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to significant levels of dust, heat, noise, extreme weather conditions and risk of injury from equipment and assaultive and/or abusive individuals.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.