New Haven, CT
|Date Opened||9/10/2021 2:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$50,050 - $65,449/year|
|Job Type||Open to Agency Employees|
|Close Date||9/24/2021 11:59:00 PM|
Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) is a constituent unit of the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR), Connecticut State Colleges and Universities. As one of the State of Connecticut institutions of higher learning, we are a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice.
Founded as a teachers college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 10,000 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. The University is located in New Haven, a city rich with arts and culture, and less than 90 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Boston.
We are recruiting for two (2) full-time Secretary 2 positions. One position is located in the Educational Leadership and Policy Studies Department, and the other position is located in the History Department. Preference will be given to current BOR/CSCU employees.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Board of Regents, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a resume, performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates during the recruitment process will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. For all other inquiries, please contact Tisha Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment, formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc. Proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes complex letters and/or memoranda, etc. (e.g. explaining department practices/policies) for own or supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from a variety of sources and prepares narrative or statistical reports, exercising judgment in the selection of items to be included.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and screens incoming calls; provides advice to callers regarding policy and procedures (e.g. citing a regulation to solve a specific problem); coordinates with others both within and outside of the organization on a variety of non-routine matters.
6. PROCESSING: Screens letters, memos, reports and other materials to determine action required; may make recommendations to the supervisor.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); researches, assembles and coordinates meeting materials (e.g. charts, graphs, reports); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription; prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; assists in preparing and monitoring the office budget (e.g. compiles figures, reviews statistical reports, verifies expense items); designs and initiates new forms and procedures to facilitate workflow; performs related duties as required.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.