Are you a dedicated Human Resources professional with the knowledge to develop strategies, craft plans, and tackle problems? Do you enjoy working in collaborative and forward-thinking environments?
Who We Are
- Support Connecticut's Growth - To serve our citizens, businesses, state agencies and other branches of government by providing the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost.
- Drive Continuous Innovation - To increase the efficiency and effectiveness of state government using best practices from the public and private sectors.
- Provide Rewarding Careers - To attract and retain a workforce of hardworking, dedicated public servants committed to leading our phenomenal state forward.
In this position you will be part of the staffing unit team who is responsible for partnering with DAS Talent Solutions to fill key agency vacancies and collaborate with agency hiring managers on proper organizational structure and use of appropriate job classes. You will also:
- Utilize time management skills, while managing multiple priorities to meet competing deadlines
- Work independently using initiative and problem solving skills
- Create strong talent pipelines for the agency’s current and future hiring needs
- Be prepared to work in a changing environment
This fulltime Monday-Friday position will be located onsite at the main DMHAS campus in Middletown, CT but may require to travel to satellite offices when needed. Partial telework will be available.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job classification.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Administrative Services, this class is deployed at an agency and is accountable for independently performing a full range of human resources duties as an agency business partner.
In a state agency outside of the State's centralized Human Resources structure, this class will be accountable for independently performing a full range of human resources and other related duties.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Advises agency staff on human resources policies and procedures, proper organizational structure and use of appropriate job classifications, talent needs, etc.;
- Partners with DAS service delivery teams and specialized units to appropriately deliver solutions for agency human resources needs;
- Communicates with agency managers, bargaining unit representatives and other interested parties to ensure cooperative relationships;
- Approves agency’s classification and position management transactions and ensures proper organizational structure;
- Assists in ensuring compliance with applicable state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Advises employees on matters related to employment, career development, transfer, separation, recruitment, examinations, and/or compensation;
- Performs job audits, or other fact finding techniques, related to individual job classification and job classification studies;
- Facilitates human resource transactions, including promotions, demotions, transfers;
- Maintains human resource information systems within assigned agency;
Independently handles reclassification grievances;
- Administers various areas of the recruitment process, including clearing of mandatory lists, interviewing, selection and on-boarding hires;
- Prepares or oversees the preparation and maintenance of relevant documentation and records;
- Counsels and makes referrals to employee assistance programs;
- May assist, coordinate, implement, oversee, and/or provide training and/or staff development programs;
- May support related agency strategic needs;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of: human resources management and relevant state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
Knowledge of: employment practices related to civil rights, equal employment opportunity, job classification, recruitment and selection, compensation and benefit programs, pay administration, workers compensation, human resources information systems and labor relations;
Considerable: interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills and conflict resolution skills;
Ability to: work effectively in a matrixed organization; analyze and balance customer’s needs with laws, regulations, policies, procedures and collective bargaining agreements;
Ability to: supervise, strategically plan, including succession planning, and ability to apply innovative solutions to organizational problems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years professional experience in human resources management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the junior working level in human resources management.
For state employees, this is interpreted at the level of Human Resources Generalist 1 or Human Resources Associate.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in human resources management, labor relations, business administration, public administration or other closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Full-cycle recruitment experience using applicant tracking systems (ATS) such as JobAps; including recruiting metrics and analytics (dashboards)
- Experience using Human Resources Management System (HRMS) such as Peoplesoft
- Experience providing talent acquisition or classification guidance to staff and management team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or Business Administration
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.