Are you a current State of Connecticut employee looking for a new role? Do you enjoy performing a full range of secretarial support functions? If so, read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for an exciting Secretary 1 role within the Division of Technology services in Newington, CT. This opportunity is full-time (40 hours/week), Monday-Friday. It is the DOT’s mission to provide a safe, efficient, and cost-effective transportation system that meets the mobility needs of its users.
- To strive to identify, analyze, and continually improve the way we do our work so that we may deliver better products and services, and improve our work environment.
- To operate the Department with maximum efficiency, so as to create additional resources for investment in the transportation infrastructure.
- To maintain the transportation system to ensure continued high levels of safety and mobility.
- To maximize the utilization and efficient operation of existing transportation assets.
- To focus our human and financial resources on priorities established through an ongoing, analytical planning process that continually asks the question- What should the DOT do next to fulfill the Mission?
- To invest in projects that ensure safety, maintain the existing transportation infrastructure, increase the productivity of the transportation system, promote economic development, and provide necessary capacity enhancements.
- To utilize all available federal and state funds.
- To seek to protect and enhance the natural environment as we develop transportation improvements.
- To engage stakeholders in a consultative process from the earliest stages of project development.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Report to the Director of Technology Services and provide clerical functions for the IT Manager and IT staff within the division.
- Work with vendors to acquire and keep track of IT hard/software quotes.
- Assist with customer service follow-up phone calls after the technical service has been provided.
- Set up files for fiscal year IT budget expenditures, pending procurement, and receiving.
- Log all software, hardware, maintenance accounts, and the due dates for each renewal within a fiscal year.
- Track all purchase orders in CORE-CT.
- Coordinate conference calls and meetings, etc.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has permanent state status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Please select the location(s) listed above on your application. Failure to indicate the location(s) listed above may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a) .
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for performing a full range of secretarial support functions.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Incumbents perform a variety of secretarial duties as illustrated in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes routine letters/memoranda, etc. (e.g. standard replies and acknowledgement letters) for supervisor's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Compiles information from standard sources and prepares data reports (e.g. number of forms processed during the month).
5. INTERPERSONAL: Greets and directs visitors; answers phones and takes messages; answers questions requiring knowledge of terminology, organization, supervisor's responsibilities, etc. (e.g. appropriate referrals, general purpose of the unit).
6. PROCESSING: Scans correspondence; pulls and attaches related materials; reviews, routes and prioritizes mail.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment; orders supplies when necessary; completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g. orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.); maintains time and attendance records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of office systems and procedures; considerable knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling; knowledge of business communications; some knowledge of business math; interpersonal skills; ability to schedule and prioritize office workflow; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers and electronic equipment; ability to operate office suite software; ability to take notes (shorthand, speedwriting or other method acceptable to the supervisor).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years' experience above the routine clerk level in office support or secretarial work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in the secretarial sciences may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience.
- Experience monitoring and maintaining current information/forms/filling systems, both paper and electronic.
- Experience with procurement of technical equipment such as computer hardware and software.
- Experience coordinating conference calls and meetings using communication platforms such as Microsoft TEAMS and ZOOM.
- Experience with the development of system documentations and presentations using O365 tools (Word, Excel, Power Point, SharePoint, Forms).
- Experience with proofreading and editing documents.
- Experience logging all software and hardware support maintenance and the due dates for each renewal within a fiscal year.
- Experience tracking all IT purchase orders and keeping record of all the approval channels until the purchase order is finally dispatched.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.