Are you ready to make a difference in our State? Interested in joining the outstanding team at the State of Connecticut, Office of Health Strategy? We encourage you to apply today!
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Health Care Analyst, to support our efforts in our Health Systems Planning unit. This position will be located centrally at our offices at 410 Capitol Avenue in Hartford. This is a full-time, first shift, forty (40) hour per week position with a typical work schedule of Monday through Friday.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Review and evaluate health care related financial and utilization data for accuracy and completeness
- Resolve any deficiencies and update databases
- Perform complex financial and utilization analyses
- Produce actionable healthcare data analytics, written reports, narratives, spreadsheets, and publications to inform and evaluate health care policies and objectives
- Conduct research and analysis to assist healthcare policy development
- Interpret state and federal laws, regulations, and healthcare policies
- Assist with implementing and evaluating related projects
The major functions of Health Systems Planning (HSP) include the administration of the Certificate of Need (CON) program; preparation of the Statewide Health Care Facilities and Services Plan; health care data collection, analysis and reporting; and hospital financial review and reporting.
The mission of Connecticut’s Office of Health Strategy is to implement comprehensive, data driven strategies that promote equal access to high quality health care, control costs and ensure better health for the people of Connecticut.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meet the preferred requirements of the position. Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
As a reminder:
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
- All State employees shall follow the guidelines as listed in Executive Orders 13F (3a) and 13G (3a).
For more information, we encourage you to contact the recruiter for this position, Joseph K. Fried at Joseph.Fried@ct.gov, (860) 924-7053.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Departments of Mental Health and Addiction Services, Public Health, Social Services or the Office of the State Comptroller, this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in the analysis of financial, utilization and management records of health care facilities and/or providers or health insurance providers.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Reviews materials to determine compliance with requirements contained in Connecticut General Statutes and agency regulations; reviews and evaluates financial, utilization and management records of health care facilities and/or providers toward various ends; prepares financial, narrative and statistical reports; reviews findings and conclusions with audit staff and members of senior staff; performs special research projects as assigned; performs related duties as required.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH: Reviews various health care facility and/or physician Certificate of Need applications; analyzes impact of proposals on other health care providers in Connecticut and makes recommendations; writes related documents and assists employees of higher grade in writing decisions; assists in preparing documentation for administrative hearings; researches and analyzes data in preparation of various health care industry reports; performs related duties as required.
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES: Analyzes and evaluates budget, expenditure, utilization, reimbursement rate setting and/or revenue issues within social services programs, including Medicaid; participates in public hearings and assists in conferring with representatives of facilities and outside experts; interacts, under guidance, with Office of the Attorney General in litigation including preparation of complete court records; may review Certificate of Need applications for nursing facility, residential care homes and ICF/MR development; performs related duties as required.
DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTION SERVICES: Analyzes and evaluates budget, expenditure, utilization, rate setting and/or revenue issues within behavioral health; analyzes General Assistance authorizations and expenditures, rate setting scenarios and new methodologies; performs related duties as required.
OFFICE OF THE STATE COMPTROLLER: Analyzes financial and utilization data from vendor and state records concerning state employees and retirees health care plans; answers inquiries from employees and retirees on issues of coverage and design pertaining to state health care plans; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles and practices of financial management including organization, administration, management, finance, budgeting, auditing and accounting; some knowledge of health care industry; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability in interpretation and analysis of complex financial, statistical and technical data; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of professional experience in financial management with some experience in health care management.
Note: Financial management is defined as professional accounting or auditing work with responsibility for the review and recommendation of financial policies and procedures of a business organization.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in accounting, finance or other closely related field or public health with some college courses in accounting or finance may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. Professional experience in health care facility administration, health program administration, health insurance administration, health planning or other health care related fields may be substituted for the General Experience on a year for year basis to a maximum of one (1) year.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Experience with Microsoft Excel including functions such as tables and formatting, data manipulation and pivot tables
- Experience analyzing financial statements and data
- Experience providing verbal and written communication
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.