The mission of the State of Connecticut, Department of Developmental Services (DDS) is to partner with the individuals we support and their families, to support lifelong planning and to join with others to create and promote meaningful opportunities for individuals to fully participate as valued members of their communities.
DDS West Region is recruiting Lifeguards for 2 full-time seasonal job opportunities. As a Lifeguard you will oversee swimming and recreational water activities which will afford residents the opportunity to participate in therapeutic and recreational swimming.
These Lifeguard positions are full-time 40 hours per week, seasonal through October 7, 2021.
Schedules are as follows:
Lifeguards will work outside at the designated swimming area at the Lower Fairfield County Regional Center (LFC), 146 Silvermine Avenue, Norwalk.
- 10a-6p Sunday through Thursday
- 12p-7p Thursday through Tuesday
The pay rate is $12.00 - $14.00 per hour and will not include any benefits.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
What’s in It for You:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must be certified in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid.
- Must possess certification in the following: Lifesaving from a national accredited organization (i.e. American Red Cross, YMCA, Ellis & Associates, etc.).
- All certifications must be valid from the beginning to the end of the working period.
- Applicants must be able to work for the full season and must complete all required DDS training.
- Selected candidates must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff. Must be able to lift and transfer equipment, boats and individuals.
- Professional growth and development.
- Ability to serve the citizens of Connecticut.
- Over eight consecutive weeks of full-time employment.
- A healthy work-life balance.
Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application.
Please note you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Renee LaBarge, DDS EEO Director at 860-418-6022 or Renee.LaBarge@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the State of Connecticut this class is accountable for performing a full range of lifeguard services at swimming areas operated by state agencies.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Monitors activities in swimming areas to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers at State of Connecticut beaches, pools, lakes, institutions and hospitals; cautions swimmers regarding unsafe areas; maintains order in swimming areas; rescues swimmers in danger of drowning and administers first aid and/or cardiopulmonary resuscitation as required; instructs clients in water safety; may give swimming instructions; may work with persons with mental retardation and/or other disabilities; lifts persons with disabilities as required; may perform park maintenance tasks; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Applicants must demonstrate competence in basic life-saving techniques.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the ability to swim while carrying an adult to safety.
- Experience Lifeguarding.
- Experience working with or volunteering with adults with intellectual disabilities, autism or physical disabilities.
- Experience working or volunteering in camp or other recreational settings.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess Certification in the following ; Life-saving from a national accredited organization ( i.e. American Red Cross, YMCA, Ellis & Associates, etc. ), cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for the professional rescuer, and first aid. All certifications must be valid from the beginning to end of working period.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.