Are you looking for a career in transportation and highway maintenance? Do you want to help make commuting and traveling throughout CT safer? If so, come see how you can make an impact by serving your state! Read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for Transportation Maintainer 1 roles in Branford, Guilford, New Haven, North Haven, Orange, and Wallingford CT. Join us in our mission to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
- You must hold residency within 20 miles of the job location (listed above).
- You must hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B with tank endorsement and a valid Medical Examiners Card (MEC). Please list your license number, class, expiration date, and issuing state in the "Licenses and Professional Certificates" section of your application.
- Select "all" in the locations section of your application as well as "full-time" under employment type. Failure to indicate a location listed above or full-time employment type may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- You must accurately complete the Connecticut Department of Transportation Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1) form.
- If invited for interview you will be required to produce a copy of your CDL Class A or B, with tank endorsement, valid MEC, a thoroughly completed CTDOT-CDL-1 form, copy of your Master Application, etc.
- You must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever your services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1st through April 30th.
- Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm. At times this could be up to a period of several days, including holidays and weekends.
- These roles are 37.5 hours/week Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm.
What We Can Offer You: We participate in a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive healthcare coverage, retirement plan options, and paid time off! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance to all employees.
Watch the video below to see how the CT DOT makes an impact statewide!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, you may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which support your qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check you SPAM and/or Junk folders., as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job classification.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of State roadside, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains small and less complex mechanical equipment or acts as a helper on larger and more complex equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- 1/2, 3/4 ton Suburban
- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton vans (passenger/cargo)
- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton pickups (2 & 4 wheel drive)
- 2 ton, 3 ton platform stakes - sedan deliveries
- station wagons
- 3/4, 1 ton trucks, various body styles
- 9 ton dump truck (to be paid at the appropriate level).
- Mowing equipment Class 12 with or without attachments
- Wood chipper
- Pavement breakers
- Grass trimmers/brush cutters
- Walk behind snow blowers
- Portable pumping units
- Chain saws
- Vibratory compaction equipment
- Assisting employees of higher grades in more skilled operation
- Heavy custodial maintenance of buildings and grounds
- Finish grading on roadway or roadside projects
- Gas station attendants
- Hand seeding
- Helping on refuse collection trucks
- Helping on sanding and plowing
- Relief ferry mate, drawbridge attendant and/or rest area attendant
- Stores section material handling
- Wildlife hazard control
- Radio monitoring and communication
- Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
In addition to other duties, at State-owned airports may function as a guard/watchman or may be required to receive training in, stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of the physical properties of standard highway or airport construction and maintenance materials; some knowledge of some mechanical principles; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; familiarity with the basic practices of the construction and maintenance trades; ability to use and make minor repairs to small tools and the simpler mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination will be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.