Do you have a proven background as a skilled Mainframe Operating Systems Programmer? Does the opportunity to install, configure, test and maintain critical mainframe systems and products all while making a difference by providing the best customer support experience inspire you? Then we encourage you to apply today!
The State of Connecticut
is looking for self-starters willing to make a difference. We are working to improve the experience of all those who interact with the State and are making progress. Come join an organization that provides superior benefits, competitive salaries and where people truly believe in what they are doing. We’re committed in bringing passion and customer focus to all those with whom we interact.
Our mission at the State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services
(DAS), is to strive to promote timely, fair, competent, cost-effective services to address the needs of state agencies, municipalities, and the public.
Discover this outstanding opportunity to join DAS' Bureau of Enterprise Systems and Technology (BEST). We are seeking a Mainframe Operating Systems Programmer (Information Technology Analyst 3
) (ITA 3) to join our Mainframe Team!
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 35 hours per week, 8:00am-3:30pm
Location: 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, Connecticut
Our employees participate in a competitive benefits plan
that includes healthcare coverage, and a retirement plan, as well as paid time off! We encourage a healthy work/life balance
to all employees.
Please ensure that your application is complete and you have included a resume within the "Resume Tab" of your application.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. Please ensure that your application is complete, you will not be able to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Should you have questions regarding this recruitment please contact Jennifer Neumann at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency Information Technology (IT) environment, this class is accountable for performing the most complex and technical support work and/or acting as a working supervisor of Information Technology Analysts engaged in information systems development or technical support.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The selected candidate will be responsible for:
- Focusing on the installation, maintenance, and development of program products that are used on the mainframe;
- Installing, implementing and configuring system software;
- Diagnosing and documenting system problems
- Developing and coordinating resolutions;
- Managing, planning, analyzing and making recommendations for hardware and/or software purchases
- Evaluating and testing new technologies, hardware and/or software for enhancements to the infrastructure related to the mainframe;
- Assisting with network and system security guidelines;
- Making recommendations for migration and upgrade directions;
- Training operators, systems developers and users on new procedures;
- Conducting system performance analysis, tuning and storage management;
- Overseeing hardware and software vendors;
- Communicating with business owners and management;
- Facilitating meetings;
- Assisting in development of information technology policies, procedures and standards;
- Participating in Request for Proposals (RFP) process;
- Implements disaster recovery plans, ensuring offsite backups;
- Defining data flow and performing related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis, design, development, and computer programming; considerable knowledge of principles of information systems; considerable knowledge of principles and theories of business and planning functions; considerable knowledge of programming languages; considerable knowledge of project management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles, problems and techniques of data processing and data communication operations; considerable knowledge of data processing and data communications equipment and diagnostic tools; considerable knowledge of methods and procedures used to conduct detailed analysis and design of computer systems; considerable knowledge of principles of complex computer operating systems; knowledge of principles and techniques of business information systems re-engineering; knowledge of network protocols and architecture; knowledge of practices and issues of systems security and disaster recovery; knowledge of applications systems development principles and techniques; knowledge of principles and practices of data base management; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable problem solving skills; considerable technical problem solving skills; considerable analytical skills; considerable ability to prepare correspondence, manuals, reports and documentation; considerable ability to analyze and resolve operational and communications problems; considerable ability to analyze and debug complex software programs; considerable ability to identify, analyze and resolve complex business and technical problems; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in information technology (IT) operations, programming, systems/software development or another IT related field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the full
professional working level with responsibility for performing a full range of
complex technical support functions in such areas as: assisting in the design,
implementation and management of a major communications network; providing
technical and administrative support for a wide area network (WAN) or
mini-computer system; assisting in the installation and maintenance of major
sub-systems or installing and maintaining other host and/or network software; participating
in the design and development of system applications; serving as a project
coordinator responsible for coordinating the design, development, programming
and implementation of moderately complex information systems projects;
performing any closely related complex technical support function.
NOTE: For state employees this is interpreted at the level of
Information Technology Analyst 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
The preferred candidate will have:
- Experience with IBM mainframe Z Series (zOS) operating system
- Experience with IBM Messaging Queue (MQSeries).
- Experience with IBM Information Management System (IMS).
- Experience with IBM Customer Information Control Systems (CICS).
- Experience with zOS WebSphere Application Server.
- Experience with Db2 performance, tuning and management products.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.