We are currently recruiting for a full-time Eligibility Services Supervisor in the Long Term Services and Supports unit, at our New Haven Location. This is a 1st shift position, 40 hours 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Discover this opportunity to be part of a vital role for our agency.
At The State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services (DSS) we, along with our partners, provide person-centered programs and services to enhance the well-being of individuals, families and communities.
We serve about 1 million residents of all ages in all 169 Connecticut cities and towns. We support the basic needs of children, families, older and other adults, including persons with disabilities. Services are delivered through 12 field offices, central administration, and online and phone access options.
We offer competitive benefits which includes health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals.
Do you have eligibility services experience as a supervisor or a policy specialist? We hope you pursue this new challenge and encourage you to detail your related experience on the application.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Social Services, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Please note that DSS takes part in the E-Verify system, which is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Social Services and the Department of Children and Families, this class is accountable for supervising a unit engaged in providing eligibility and/or other services to clients of the department's various assistance programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Plans unit workflow and determines priorities.
- Schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work.
- Establishes and maintains unit procedures and provides staff training, assistance including monitoring and assessing current and projected needs.
- Provides technical and procedural support to staff and conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations.
- Acts as liaison with operating units, agencies and outside officials.
- Makes recommendations on policies or standards and prepares reports and. correspondence.
- Acts as unit policy specialist in difficult, unusual and/or complex case resolution.
- Facilitates the resolution of systems and data problems.
- Performs related duties as required.
- More information can be found here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of available community support and social services resources; considerable knowledge of Eligibility Management System; knowledge of personnel policies; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in the determination of client eligibility for public assistance.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been acting as a working supervisor or a policy specialist in the provision of eligibility services to clients.
Note: For State employees, this is interpreted at the level of Eligibility Services Specialist.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in a closely related area may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Experience in Medicaid LTSS (Skilled Nursing Home Facility and/or Waiver unit) including but not limited to Spousal Assessments, Nursing home admission and Discharge entries, Transfer of Assets and other LTSS related policies. Experience with ASCEND database.
- Experience interpreting and applying relevant agency policies and procedures.
- Experience interpreting and applying relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulation.
- Experience working with available community support and social services resources.
- Experience with the ImpaCT and ahCT Operating Systems and personnel policies.
- Experience providing verbal and written communication to a diverse population.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.