Are you a current Department of Transportation (DOT) employee looking to advance your career within the agency? Do you want to continue to help make commuting and traveling throughout CT safe? If so, read below & apply today!
- You will be accountable for acting as a working supervisor for an assigned group of Transportation Maintainers.
- You will plan crew workflow and determine priorities.
- You must hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B with tank endorsement and a Medical Examiners Card (MEC). Please list your license number, class, expiration date, and issuing state in the "Licenses and Professional Certificates" section of your application.
- Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid CDL Class A or B, reflecting the tank endorsement and valid MEC at the time of interview.
- You must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever your services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. Various storm events will require you to stay at work for the duration of the storm. At times this could be up to a period of several days, including holidays and weekends.
- You must hold residency within 30 miles of the job location (East Hartford).
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of Connecticut employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Applicants must select the location listed above (East Hartford) on their application. Failure to indicate the location(s) listed above will result in the applicant not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check you SPAM and/or Junk folders., as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job classification.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for an assigned group of Transportation Maintainers and/or Qualified Craft Workers engaged in an area of transportation maintenance or closely related activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans crew workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work; establishes and maintains crew procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; requisitions materials and equipment appropriate to the various jobs; participates in performing the duties of the crew; may do preliminary site inspection of assigned jobs; may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of materials, equipment and approved methods for highway pavement markings; knowledge of coordinating center line markings with pavement surface treatment including the mixing of paints and care of painting equipment; knowledge of the proper placement and maintenance of all types of highway signs; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of skilled experience in the installation, maintenance and replacement of pavement markings and signs.
Note: For State Employees the General Experience will be interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 3.
1. Incumbents in this class will be required to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal as required.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.