Do you possess a Bachelor’s degree in Architectural Engineering or Architectural Engineering Technology? Do you want to be part of a dynamic team of engineers who are shaping the future of Transportation in Connecticut? If so, come see how you can make an impact by serving your State. Read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is now accepting applications for an exciting Architectural Engineer Trainee (Transportation Engineer Trainee) role within our Facilities Design Unit at our Headquarters in Newington, Connecticut. Join us in our mission to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
Note: After successful completion of a 1-year training program you will be eligible for a promotion to the target class of Transportation Engineer 1 (Engineering). A Bachelor’s degree in Architectural Engineering or Architectural Engineering Technology is preferred.
The Role: This position is full-time (40 hours per week) in the Architectural Engineering group within the Facilities Design Unit and is part of the P4 Bargaining Agreement. The Facilities Design Unit provides in-house as well as consultant engineering design services for vertical construction such as highway maintenance & repair facilities, rail stations, rail maintenance facilities, bus maintenance facilities, movable bridges, parking garages, salt sheds, and underground storage tanks.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Create the layouts of DOT facilities.
- Coordinate with Engineers in other disciplines to bring the designs from layout to full design plans.
- Remain actively involved during the construction process by reviewing drawings, product submittals, and watch your designs come to life.
- Take pride in your participation in creating buildings that will continue to serve the State for many years to come.
- Display your strong work ethic and motivation to work in the transportation engineering field.
We participate in a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, retirement plan options, paid time off, alternate work schedule options, and much more! We encourage a healthy work-life balance to all employees. We also offer the convenience of an on-site, low-cost fitness center, on-site cafeteria, and ample free parking. Centrally located in Newington, CT with easy access from major highways and by public transportation.
Watch the video below to learn what it’s like to be a Transportation Engineer at the CT DOT!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, available to travel to and attend training, conferences, public meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours when necessary and must have a valid Driver's license. Preference will be given to candidates who possess an accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural Engineering or Architectural Engineering Technology.
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Applicants must also list their valid Driver's license number, expiration date and issuing State, and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications, in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of their application. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, foreign education equivalency reports from a recognized USA accrediting service, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisory references, etc.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check you SPAM and/or Junk folders., as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job classification.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority, this class is accountable for receiving training in introductory professional engineering work for the development of technical and professional transportation engineering and transportation construction engineering skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement in the field of transportation engineering.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a wide variety of increasingly difficult duties as technical skills are acquired during course of training period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic transportation engineering theories, principles and methods; skill in use of drafting and calculating instruments and other computer applications; considerable ability in performing mathematical computations, making neat and accurate drawings and preparing minor design and structural details.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Possession of Land Surveyor (LS) licensure or Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
2. Possession of Land Surveyor-In-Training (LSIT) licensure or Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
3. Possession of at least Level III certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the General Experience requirement:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection.
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete.
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Surveys or Highway Construction Inspection
4. Possession of a Level III Survey Technician Certification from the National Society of Professional Surveyors may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
- Experience and/or education with architectural engineering theories, principles, methods, and basic construction concepts.
- Experience with computer aided design software (Microstation preferred) and other computer applications including Word and Excel.
- Experience communicating effectively both orally and in writing and interacting harmoniously and effectively with diverse populations.
- Experience developing and utilizing organizational skills and prioritizing/multi-tasking skills in a work or educational environment.
- Experience with problem solving and recommending and implementing effective solutions in a timely manner.
- Experience performing complex mathematical computations, making neat and accurate drawings, preparing design details and analyzing plans and estimates.
- Experience preparing construction documents at various stages of design and experience with reviewing and interpreting Mechanical, Electrical, and Structural drawings.
- Experience with code analysis and experience or education with Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) specification writing.
- Completion of the Fundamental of Engineering exam (FE) and/or possession of Engineer-in-Training (EIT) licensure.
Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some risk of injury or physical harm from highway, construction site, or on-site environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.