The State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services (DAS) houses a number of distinct programs that comprise the business functions of state government, including information technology, human resources, procurement, facilities and real estate, construction services, fleet, workers compensation and more united in a common mission to:
DAS currently has an exciting opportunity available for the position of Assistant Chief of Fiscal/Administrative Services within the Business Services Division. This leadership position will assist the Chief Fiscal Officer on all facets of the Business Office functions and staff. The individual selected to fill this role will be a business partner who promotes transparency, embraces change, and strives to create efficiencies using the latest technology to deliver sound results.
- Support Connecticut's Growth - To serve our citizens, businesses, state agencies and other branches of government by providing the highest quality services at the lowest possible cost.
- Drive Continuous Innovation - To increase the efficiency and effectiveness of state government using best practices from the public and private sectors.
- Provide Rewarding Careers - To attract and retain a workforce of talented, dedicated public servants committed to leading our great state forward.
If this sounds like you and you would love the opportunity to serve the citizens of Connecticut in this critical financial role, then we invite you to apply.
This position will be responsible for:
In addition, the selected candidate will be heavily involved with all financial EDP systems, including CORE-CT, Avatar, Biznet updates/upgrades and will utilize these systems for financial planning, directing, projecting, forecasting and to administer the day to day operations.
- Assisting in managing the day to day activities of all Business Office operations, for DAS as well as for the Department of Agriculture, Department of Consumer Protection, Office of Government Accountability, Office of Protection and Advocacy, Governor's Office and Lieutenant Governor's Office.
- Creating process improvements and streamlining procedures to meet the agency's mandate of providing services in a more efficient manner, while adhering to all necessary Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
- Utilizing resources to inspire and motivate staff facilitating an environment where staff members feel part of a team and they feel comfortable enough to contribute their own ideas for process improvements, formulate goals, strategies and objectives for the unit and seek feedback from staff.
- Supervising staff and all functions of the Business Office, including Budgeting, Grants Management, Purchasing, Accounting, Project Accounting, State Purchasing Card (P-Card) and Travel:
- Acting as unit liaison with other sections in DAS, other agencies, and customers to seek ways to meet customers' needs;
- Conducting training seminars/presentations to keep customers up to date with the latest innovations.
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage;
- Comprehensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings;
- Retirement healthcare offerings;
- Professional growth and development opportunities.
All applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
State employees currently holding the above title or those who have previously attained permanent status in this class may apply for a lateral transfer.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Raisa Capellan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency, this class is accountable for assisting in the administration of the administrative programs and operations of the agency.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists in the direction of staff and operations of fiscal management functions including budget preparation and management, accounting and financial reporting and analysis; assists in coordinating, planning and managing activities; formulates program goals and objectives; develops or assists in development of related policy; reviews fiscal and administrative operations for effectiveness and compliance with statutory requirements and agency policies and procedures; acts as liaison both internally within the state and externally; evaluates staff; directs or assists in the direction of budget management function; maintains contacts with individuals both within and outside of unit who might impact on program activities; advises agency head regarding fiscal and administrative matters; assists EDP experts in planning and implementation of financial aspects of EDP systems; utilizes EDP systems for financial records, reports and analyses; prepares programmatic fiscal/administrative analysis and impact statements on proposed regulations and legislation; in addition to directing fiscal/administrative functions may direct support services such as maintenance, duplicating services, switchboard, mailroom, food services, security and housekeeping; in a facility or institution, in addition to the above, may ensure conformance with related standards of JCAH, OSHA, Environmental Protection and other regulatory agencies; may direct a program of internal and/or external audit; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles and practices of public administration with special reference to governmental budget management and governmental accounting; knowledge of principles and procedures of personnel, payroll, purchasing, grant administration and contract administration; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to understand and apply relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable ability in preparation and analysis of financial and statistical reports; ability to utilize EDP systems for financial management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Ten (10) years of experience in a combination of fiscal/administrative functions (e.g. accounting, accounts examining, budget management, grants administrative, personnel, payroll, purchasing) at least one (1) of which must be an accounting function. See addendum for descriptions of these fiscal/administrative functions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been supervising professional level staff.
For state employees, this is at or above the level of Budget Specialist or Fiscal/Administrative Supervisor.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in public administration, business administration or accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Responsibility for a budget over one (1) million dollars;
- Experience with budgeting and reporting processes;
- Experience supervising three (3) professional financial staff;
- Experience executing deliverables with competing deadlines and priorities;
- Experience developing business partnerships with stakeholders;
- Experience multi-tasking and prioritizing between office and financial management initiatives;
- Experience providing feedback, information, and recommendations to leadership staff on actual budget and financial accomplishments as well as recommendations for corrective actions to achieve budgetary objectives.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.