About the Position:
- The work schedule is Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 37.5 hours per week.
- This position is responsible for the maintenance and operation of the DOT Backhoe. Eligible candidates will be required to participate in a skill evaluation practicum for this position to evaluate and determine if the applicant has the required skills and qualifications to perform the duties of this position.
- Candidates must indicate that they hold a current and valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (A or B), with the "tank endorsement" and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) in the "License's and Professional Certificates" section of the application, or they will not be considered.
- Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
- Various storm events may require employees to stay at work; which at times could be up to a period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
- Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 20-mile residency from the posted job location.
- Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified.
- Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their Master Application and their last two service ratings.
- Eligible candidates will be required to participate in a skill evaluation practicum for this position to evaluate and determine whether or not the applicant(s) have the required skills and qualifications to perform the duties of this position.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Applicants must select the location (listed above) on their application. Failure to indicate a location listed above will result in the applicant not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Gary Chirgwin at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of highly skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of State roadways, roadsides, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains highly complex mechanical equipment; may serve as trainer.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintenance, or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- Low bed type trailer tractor
- Hydraulic platform crane
- Tractor trailer with tilt trailor or 20 cubic yard dump trailer
- Center Line Marking Machine (Truck)
- (10 wheel, GVW of 58,000 pounds and 800 gallon tank)
- Track-mounted skid steer with various attachments including but not limited to: backhoe, miller, forestry
- Glycol vacuum scrubber with 8 foot pickup header
- Payloader with snow pusher
- Airfield deicing truck with 45 foot spray boom
- Double Wing Truck (Driver)
- Motor graders
- Loader Mounted Snow Blower (2000 ton per hour and over)
- Snow Broom
- Liquid asphalt application/joint sealing machine
- Back Hoe operation
- Post pounder operator
- Vactor operator
- Lead person in boundary stone setting
- Lead person in test borings
- Lead Vendor in Place (VIP) inspector
- Performing highly skilled tasks in one or more of the following areas or trades: construction, maintenance, mechanical repair, carpentry, masonry, welding, plumbing and painting.
- Highly skilled tree climbing work
- Sign erecting requiring complex rigging
- Center Line Marking Machine (Rear Switch Operator)
- District Equipment Coordinator/Radio Room operator (lead)
- District Projects Records Coordinator
- Multi-Media First Aid Trainer
- Highway Operations Center System Operator
- Acting crew leader
- May supervise a Materials Management Stockroom
- Wildlife hazard control
- Radio monitoring and communication
- Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
- In addition to other duties, may be required to receive training in, stand by for and respond to fire and or crash emergency situations at state-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of the construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadways, roadsides, bridges or airports; considerable knowledge of the processes and materials used in the construction and maintenance of highway and bridges or airports; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to operate skillfully and make ordinary repairs to highly complex mechanical equipment as listed on the attached addendum; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of roadways, roadsides, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in the operation of complex equipment or the performance of skilled tasks.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 3.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.