Are you a recent Engineering or Construction Management graduate? Do you want to help shape the future of Transportation in CT? If so come make an impact by serving your state! Read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for an exciting Transportation Engineer Trainee position located at the Milford Bridge Maintenance Facility in Milford, CT. Current students who will be graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Construction Management by May of 2021 are strongly encouraged to apply! It is the DOT’s mission to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
- Transportation Engineer Trainee positions are entry-level engineering and construction management positions. You will receive training to develop technical engineering skills and knowledge.
- This is a one year training program, upon successful completion of the program you may be eligible for promotion to the target class of Transportation Engineer 1 (Construction Engineering).
- Please list your valid Driver's License number, expiration date, issuing State, and any other job-relevant licenses or certificates, in the License and Professional Certificates section of your application.
Work-Life Balance & Employee Value Proposition (EVP): Fulltime 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday at the Milford Bridge Maintenance Facility in Milford, CT. You may be required to travel and attend trainings, conferences, public meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours when necessary.
What’s In It For You- Leading Comprehensive Benefits: We offer a competitive salary structure, excellent health & dental coverage, retirement plan options, generous vacation/personal/sick time and more!
Watch the video below to see what it's like to be a Transportation Engineer Trainee at the DOT!
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified. Current Engineering or Construction Management students who will be graduating with a Bachelor's degree in May 2021 are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, available to travel and attend trainings, conferences, public meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours when necessary and must have a valid Driver's license.
Applicants must list their valid Driver's license number, expiration date and issuing State, and any other job-relevant licenses or certificates, in the License and Professional Certificates section of their application.
Applicants must include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application. Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps System.
*NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check you SPAM and/or Junk folders., as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
The immediate vacancy is listed above, however applications to this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in this job classification.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employee which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority, this class is accountable for receiving training in introductory professional engineering work for the development of technical and professional transportation engineering and transportation construction engineering skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement in the field of transportation engineering.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a wide variety of increasingly difficult duties as technical skills are acquired during course of training period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic transportation engineering theories, principles and methods; skill in use of drafting and calculating instruments and other computer applications; considerable ability in performing mathematical computations, making neat and accurate drawings and preparing minor design and structural details.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Possession of Land Surveyor (LS) licensure or Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
2. Possession of Land Surveyor-In-Training (LSIT) licensure or Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
3. Possession of at least Level III certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the General Experience requirement:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection.
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete.
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Surveys or Highway Construction Inspection
4. Possession of a Level III Survey Technician Certification from the National Society of Professional Surveyors may be substituted for the General Experience requirement.
Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some risk of injury or physical harm from highway, construction site, or on-site environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.