Are you looking for a career in the transportation and highway maintenance industry offering standard first shift work hours, a benefits package that includes health insurance, a retirement plan, paid leave and upward mobility opportunities.
We're looking for you!!
Key Elements of the application:
- Opportunities exist at the Darien, Milford, New Canaan, Stratford, Trumbull and Westport DOT locations.
- Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
- Applicants must select all locations as well as employment type (full time) in which they wish to be considered for on their application prior to submission. Failure to indicate a location listed above or employment type will result in the applicant not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- Candidates must indicate that they hold a current and valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tank endorsement in the "Licenses and Professional Certificate" section of the application, or they will not be considered.
Please Note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
Key Elements of the position:
- This position is responsible for performing highway maintenance along State highways and roadways. The hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., 37.5 hours per week.
- Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm, which at times could be up to a period of several days including holidays and weekends.
- Incumbents in this class will be required to have a 20-mile residency from the job location.
- You will be part of the Maintenance and Services union (NP2).
We offer a competitive benefits package, excellent health care, generous leave policies, retirement plan, and more! We also encourage a healthy work-life balance to all employees!
Applicants invited to interview will be required to supply a copy of their Connecticut Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, with Tank endorsement, valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1), or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidate will be required to bring a copy of their Master Application.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employee which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Please email and questions or inquiries to Catherine.Downey@Ct.Gov . Please reference 210422-2345TC-001: Transportation Maintainer 1.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of State roadside, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains small and less complex mechanical equipment or acts as a helper on larger and more complex equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of the physical properties of standard highway or airport construction and maintenance materials; some knowledge of some mechanical principles; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; familiarity with the basic practices of the construction and maintenance trades; ability to use and make minor repairs to small tools and the simpler mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Preference will be given to candidates that possess the following experience and skill:
- Operation of heavy duty commercial equipment;
- Maintenance trades including carpentry and masonry that are utilized in the maintenance of State highways.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination will be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.