The Department of Labor is committed to protecting and promoting the interests of Connecticut workers. In order to accomplish this in an ever-changing environment, we assist workers and employers to become competitive in the global economy. We take a comprehensive approach to meeting the needs of workers and employers, and the other agencies that serve them. We ensure the supply of high-quality integrated services that serve the needs of our customers.
We are seeking someone with experience performing extensive information technology tasks and project coordination work involving systems development in an IT environment. The ideal candidate will possess experience with the following:
- IBM z/OS operating system
- TSO (Time Sharing Option) including ISPF and SDSF
- COBOL II
- JCL (IBM’s Job Command Language)
- CICS (IBM’s Customer Information and Control System)
- BMS Maps (or similar mainframe screen building application)
- DB2 (including SPUFI or QMF)
- IBM’s File Manager and File Manager for DB2 (or corresponding Fileaid products)
- SCLM (or similar source code manager software)
- Fault Analyzer
- Debugging software
- IBM system logs
- Setting up of specific access to CICS transactions, MVS data sets, TSO, and DB2
- Removal of access to user ids
- Creation of Security Groups, General Resource Profiles, and Dataset Profiles while using the concept of “least privilege required"
- Mainframe product installs, upgrades, software patches, and disaster recovery planning and testing
- Leading Comprehensive Benefits: Competitive salary structure, excellent health & dental coverage, retirement plan options & more!
- Work-Life Balance: Generous vacation, personal, and sick time.
- Making a Difference in Your Community: Check out what it's like to be a state employee and more on the recruitment process in the video below.
Are you a hardworking, motivated IT professional looking to make a difference while working with a dynamic IT team in the public sector? We hope you pursue this new challenge and encourage you to detail your related experience on the application!
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified. Please ensure that your application is complete. You will be unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
You may be required to provide additional information if considered for an interview.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Due to the volume of anticipated applications, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency Information Technology (IT) environment, this class is accountable for performing the most complex and technical support work and/or acting as a working supervisor of Information Technology Analysts engaged in information systems development or technical support.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Administers RACF security for all IBM users.
- Works with and creates RACF Groups and Profiles for specific access by position within the department.
- Adheres to the concept of "least privilege" when granting access.
- Understands the RACF structures that provide access to CICS application transactions.
- Sets up Dataset Profiles as required.
- Execute comparisons between users' IBM ids using Vanguard Compare Manager.
- Works with the DBA to integrate RACF and DB2 access controls.
- Preparation and participation in IRS Security audits concerning the handling of Federal Tax Information (FTI) Assists in troubleshooting complex application systems with other supporting staff (DBA, Tech Support, or Server Infrastructure personnel).
- Performs related duties as required.
- More information can be found here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and techniques of systems analysis, design, development, and computer programming; considerable knowledge of principles of information systems; considerable knowledge of principles and theories of business and planning functions; considerable knowledge of programming languages; considerable knowledge of project management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of principles, problems and techniques of data processing and data communication operations; considerable knowledge of data processing and data communications equipment and diagnostic tools; considerable knowledge of methods and procedures used to conduct detailed analysis and design of computer systems; considerable knowledge of principles of complex computer operating systems; knowledge of principles and techniques of business information systems re-engineering; knowledge of network protocols and architecture; knowledge of practices and issues of systems security and disaster recovery; knowledge of applications systems development principles and techniques; knowledge of principles and practices of data base management; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable problem solving skills; considerable technical problem solving skills; considerable analytical skills; considerable ability to prepare correspondence, manuals, reports and documentation; considerable ability to analyze and resolve operational and communications problems; considerable ability to analyze and debug complex software programs; considerable ability to identify, analyze and resolve complex business and technical problems; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in information technology (IT) operations, programming, systems/software development or another IT related field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the full
professional working level with responsibility for performing a full range of
complex technical support functions in such areas as: assisting in the design,
implementation and management of a major communications network; providing
technical and administrative support for a wide area network (WAN) or
mini-computer system; assisting in the installation and maintenance of major
sub-systems or installing and maintaining other host and/or network software; participating
in the design and development of system applications; serving as a project
coordinator responsible for coordinating the design, development, programming
and implementation of moderately complex information systems projects;
performing any closely related complex technical support function.
NOTE: For state employees this is interpreted at the level of
Information Technology Analyst 2.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in management information systems, computer science or information technology related area may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling six (6) months of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in management information systems, computer science or electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience with coding, testing, debugging and providing production support for new or changed jobs and COBOL programs.
- Experience proactively obtaining and analyzing business specifications.
- Job and program (batch or online) design experience.
- Experience documenting and sharing knowledge, including the writing of standard operating procedures for any new activity.
- Experience adhering to accepted standards for program and job design with an emphasis on maintainability.
- Experience with File Transfer Protocol (FTP) technologies, e.g., Secure Transport and CrushFTP.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.