Are you looking for a seasonal opportunity that allows you to be outdoors while making a difference with individuals with intellectual disabilities
disabilities? If so, we encourage you to explore joining our Lifeguard team!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Developmental Services (DDS)- South Region is recruiting Lifeguards for 4 full-time seasonal job opportunities.
Location: Camp Harkness is located in Southeastern Connecticut on the shores of Long Island Sound. The 102-acre property in Waterford CT is comprised of open and wooded land and includes tidal marsh and beachfront. Facilities at Camp Harkness include year-round and seasonal cabins, year-round cottages, seasonal tent sites, barnyard animals, picnic pavilions & grills, accessible playscape, scenic walkway and overlook, bathhouse, beach with seasonal boardwalk, gardens, dining hall, lodge, and infirmary. Camp Harkness is owned by the State of Connecticut and managed by the Department of Developmental Services.
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours/week. The schedules are:
Friday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Friday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday, Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Salary: $12.00 to $14.00 per hour depending upon educations and relevant experience. There are no benefits with this position.
Duration: These are seasonal positions and will end no later than September 9, 2021.
Apply Today: To be a part of our mission to partner with the individuals we support and their families, to support lifelong planning and to join with others to create and promote meaningful opportunities for individuals to fully participate as valued members of their communities.
Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and must specify their qualifications on their application. Please note, you will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
If you require an accommodation to participate fully and fairly under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact Renee LaBarge, DDS EEO Director at 860-418-6022 or Renee.LaBarge@ct.gov.
- Must be at least 18 years old as of May 21, 2021
- Applicants must be able to work for the full season and must complete all required DDS training. Must be certified in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid.
- Must possess certification in the following: Lifesaving from a national accredited organization (i.e. American Red Cross, YMCA, Ellis & Associates, etc.) All certifications must be valid from the beginning to the end of the working period.
- Applicants must be able to work for the full season and must complete all required DDS training.
- Selected candidates must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff and campers. Must be able to lift and transfer equipment, boats and individuals.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status updates during the recruitment process. Please note that not all applicants will be contacted for interview and are encouraged to apply for future postings. For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Elizabeth Weston at Elizabeth.Weston@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the State of Connecticut this class is accountable for performing a full range of lifeguard services at swimming areas operated by state agencies.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Assists with swimming and recreational water activities which will afford camp participants the opportunity to participate in therapeutic swim and recreational boating.
- Monitors activities in swimming areas to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers at camp beaches.
- Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe areas.
- Maintains order in swimming areas.
- Rescues swimmers in danger of drowning and administers first aid and/or cardiopulmonary resuscitation as required.
- Instructs individuals in water safety.
- May give swimming instructions.
- May work with persons with developmental disabilities and/or other disabilities.
- Lifts persons with disabilities as required.
- Participates in other camp related duties and responsibilities.
- Additional information can be found here.
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Applicants must demonstrate competence in basic life-saving techniques.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the ability to swim while carrying an adult to safety.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Lifeguarding experience.
- Experience working with or volunteering with individuals with intellectual disabilities, autism or physical disabilities.
- Experience working or volunteering in camp or other recreational settings.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess Certification in the following; Life-saving from a national accredited organization ( i.e. American Red Cross, YMCA, Ellis & Associates, etc. ), cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for the professional rescuer, and first aid. All certifications must be valid from the beginning to end of working period.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.