About the Position:
- This position provides routine, preventative/predictive and emergency maintenance for a variety of facilities, primarily located in Central Connecticut.
- This position provides support for critical repairs and building upgrades involving all building trades.
- The General Trades Worker position works as part of a team along with Qualified Craft Workers, GTW’s and other maintenance staff in helping to ensure the continued success of the critical services that the State of Connecticut Department of Transportation provides to all.
- Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including ice & snow control, building and fuel station repairs whenever their services are needed and must participate in mandatory overtime which occurs from November 1 through April 30 annually.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Should you have any questions regarding this recruitment please contact Gary Chirgwin at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for performing highly skilled trades duties in various trade areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs highly skilled maintenance and/or construction work requiring the application of trade skills, codes, and standard trade practices in a variety of trade areas including but not limited to: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, HVACR, glazing, masonry, painting work, etc; makes estimates of time, personnel, and material required on assigned tasks; keeps necessary records; in smaller trade areas, may be the sole worker running a skilled trade area; performs duties related to the trade or trade areas as required; at State owned airports may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; may operate and maintain heavy earth moving equipment; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply the standard tools, materials, methods, and practices of a variety of trade areas; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare estimates and keep shop records; some ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Four (4) years of experience in one or more trade areas.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been performing skilled trade functions in one or more trade areas.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at or above the level of Skilled Maintainer or Transportation Maintainer 2. Housekeeping, custodial, and food services duties will not be considered as qualifying experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of subject requirements in a maintenance trade area may be substituted for two (2) years of the General Experience.
2. Two (2) years of experience as a Qualified Craft Worker Intern may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Experience in a variety of trade areas
- Experience with electrical, plumbing or HVAC related troubleshooting and repairs
- Hold a current and valid class A or B commercial driver's license (CDL)
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and to risk of injury from equipment.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.