Interested in joining a great team of materials testing professionals who help ensure that Connecticut’s roads and bridges are safe and durable?
A main goal of the State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is to build safe and durable roads and structures. The use of quality materials is a critical factor in meeting that goal. Engineers and technicians within the DOT’s nationally accredited laboratory in the Division of Materials Testing:
- Use the latest technology and techniques to test aggregates, concrete, steel, and asphalt
- Evaluate material sources used throughout the State
- Analyze trends in test results and take a proactive stand to avoid the use of substandard materials
- Review, evaluate, and approve Portland Cement concrete and asphalt mix designs using state-of-the-art technologies
- Review drawings and inspect complex structural steel and precast concrete girders being built in facilities throughout the Northeast
We are currently accepting applications for Transportation Technician Trainee positions in the Division of Materials Testing in the Office of Construction. Positions may be based in Rocky Hill or Thomaston. The work locations for these positions will be determined based on the availability of the selected candidates and the DOT’s needs. Upon successful completion of the 1 year training program, incumbents may be promoted to the target class of Transportation Technician. With successful performance, incumbents may advance to the job class of Transportation Materials Technician 2 upon qualification. These positions are full time, 40 hours per week and are in the P-4 (Engineering and Scientific) bargaining unit.
Applicants who will possess an Associate's degree by May of 2021 in Construction Management, Engineering Technology, Construction Technology, Civil Engineering Technology or closely related field, are encouraged to apply for this posting.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The successful candidates must be available to travel to and attend training, conferences, meetings, field reviews/site visits, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours when necessary, and must possess and retain a valid Driver's license. Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway and construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
Special requirements include performing field work outdoors in all types of terrain and weather. This hands-on position requires ability to traverse difficult terrain (ie. uneven, steep, rocky, slippery, etc.), ability to climb, and lifting ability. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties. A physical exam may be required.
We are seeking candidates who are interested in receiving on the job and/or classroom training to learn how to set up, operate, and maintain equipment; obtain and transport material samples and perform field or laboratory tests; assist in the review of concrete and Hot Mix Asphalt mix designs; use computers to record and update data; calibrate equipment; and perform related duties as required.
Work may be completed outdoors and/or at materials plants, with exposure to all types of weather conditions, potential exposure to traffic, environmental hazards, and potential dangers and irritants/allergens such as wildlife, insects, vegetation and hazardous fumes.
You must specify all locations that you are interested in on your application in order to be considered for those locations. You must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening and specify your qualifications on your application.
Applicants must list their valid Driver's license number, expiration date and issuing State, and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications, in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of their application. Applicants must also include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
Ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include; cover letters, college transcripts, verification of degree completion, foreign education equivalency reports from a recognized USA accrediting service, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisory references, etc.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Nasreen.Mustafa@ct.gov and reference Transportation Technician Trainee DMT #31797.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation, this class is accountable for receiving on-the-job training in performing basic technical work in support of transportation projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a wide variety of increasingly difficult duties as technical skills are acquired during course of training period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic construction methods and materials; skill in use of construction related equipment and instruments and computer applications; ability in performing mathematical computations; ability to create, read and interpret scales, diagrams, plans, specifications and drawings; ability to prepare accurate drawings.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience involving the inspection of transportation construction projects; or testing of transportation materials; or bridge safety inspection.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in Construction Management, Engineering Technology, Construction Technology, Civil Engineering Technology or closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years for an Associate's degree.
2. Possession of at least Level II certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the General Experience:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Construction Inspection or Bridge Safety Inspection.
- Experience creating spreadsheets, inputting data, and creating graphs using Microsoft Excel
- Experience logging into and using computer networks and applications
- Experience using project management software applications such as Projectwise or SiteManager
- Experience preparing neat and accurate technical documents such as drawings and inspection reports
- Experience communicating professionally, both orally and in writing, with teammates and stakeholders of all levels including outside entities such as consultant inspectors, contractors, and suppliers
- Experience leveraging interpersonal skills to work cohesively with other Department units such as District Construction and Design staff
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.