The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) invites qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Transportation Maintenance Crew Leader (Tree Crew). This position is located in the Mansfield Maintenance Facility.
- Full-time, 37.5 hours/week position
- Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
- Applicants invited to the interview must supply a copy of their Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (A or B), with the "tank endorsement," valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC), and a throughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1).
- Candidates who are unable to produce the required documentation at the time of interview will be immediately disqualified.
In order to be eligible to apply and be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Transportation, who has permanent status* and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on the job opening.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time equivalent).
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Please insure that your application is complete, you will not be able to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Gary Chirgwin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for an assigned group of Transportation Maintainers and/or Qualified Craft Workers engaged in an area of transportation maintenance or closely related activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans crew workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work; establishes and maintains crew procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; requisitions materials and equipment appropriate to the various jobs; participates in performing the duties of the crew; may do preliminary site inspection of assigned jobs; may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations at State-owned airports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of tree and shrub planting and maintenance; skill in cllilmbing and cutting trees; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to utilize computer software; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of skilled experience in the maintenance and control of trees and roadside growth.
Note: For State Employees the General Experience will be interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 3.
- Experience leading a crew of employees engaged in the maintenance and control of trees and roadside growth
1. Incumbents in this class will be required to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal as required.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
3. Appointment and retention is contingent on satisfactory completion of a proficiency test or tests administered by the department.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.