Looking for an exciting and impactful seasonal position where you can work outdoors?
If so, we have a terrific opportunity for you!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) Wildlife Division is seeking to hire a Seasonal Resource Assistant to work within the Migratory Bird Program out of the Franklin Swamp Wildlife Management Area in North Franklin. However, work will be conducted statewide.
A total of 96 state land wildlife impoundments have been identified by the Wildlife Division as being a priority for management. The goal of this management is to focus on the maintenance of access roads, water control structures, and dams. Maintenance of wildlife impoundments/wetlands will serve to provide quality habitat for waterfowl, wading birds, and other wetland dependent wildlife. Opportunities to assist on other field projects may be made available as time allows and according to employee interest.
The position is first shift and are thirty-five (35) hours per week, Monday through Friday, with the potential for some early morning and/or evening work required.
Salary: The pay rate varies from $12.00 to $14.00 per hour, depending on education and experience. There are no benefits with these positions.
Length of position: Approximately six (6) months, (no more than 1,030 hours). Anticipated start date would be May 21,2021.
Note: Do not submit a cover letter. Applicants must only include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
Questions about the position should be directed to: Kelly Kubik, (860) 418-5960, email@example.com
The selected candidates must be fluent in English and be at least 18 years old.
The selected candidates must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license. Travel is required.
The selected candidates must possess and maintain adequate physical flexibility, strength and stamina to perform the duties (including work outside in inclement weather, work outside for extended periods), and work well with other staff and members of the public.
Questions about the applications to this job may be sent to Uma Arun at firstname.lastname@example.org
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
(1) Mowing and clearing of impoundment dams and access roads utilizing small equipment (i.e. brush cutters, DR mowers, and handheld tools).
(2) Manipulating water levels using weir boards.
(3) Removing debris from water control structures.
(4) Updating Microsoft Excel databases.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
(1) Education and/or experience in wildlife biology/management or natural resources.
(2) Ability to work with a team or independently.
(3) Willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and under potentially hazardous field conditions (bee/wasp stings are highly likely to occur, insect bites, poison ivy, etc.).
(4) Experience with kayaks and small boats.
(5) Basic small engine repair and maintenance.
(6) Basic woodworking skills.
(7) Knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.