Who We Are
Our mission at the State of Connecticut
, Connecticut Insurance Department (CID
) is consumer protection. The Department carries out its mission by enforcing state insurance laws to ensure policy holders are treated fairly, by providing assistance, outreach and education to help consumers make sound choices and by regulating the industry in a fair and consistent manner that fosters market competition for availability of insurance.
The CID is excitedly seeking an Insurance Certified Supervising Examiner! This position is currently a remote from home position due to COVID 19. As things begin to normalize this position will be located at the agency in Hartford CT.
The selected candidate will be responsible for:
- Scheduling, assigning and reviewing the work of analysts;
- Reviewing applications for insurance carriers to be licensed or formed in the state
- Researching inquiries from other divisions, directors or industries unique insurance questions;
- Managing analysts within the company licensing unit both administratively and workload review;
- Reporting directly to the Division Director.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee of the Department of Insurance who has permanent state status*, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
*For employees in the classified service, permanent status is obtained after successful completion of a working test period. For employees in the unclassified service, permanent status is obtained after serving in a position for at least six months (full-time or full-time equivalent).
Please ensure that your application is complete and you have included a resume within the "Resume Tab" of your application.
NOTE: Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meet the preferred requirements of the position.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Raisa Capellan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Insurance Department, Examination Division, this class is accountable for supervising the work of Insurance Examiners engaged in the examination of the financial and business records of domestic insurance companies or supervising the review of the analysis of financial statements of licensed insurance companies including responsibility for certifying the accuracy and completeness of financial audits, by signature, of association examinations.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews the work of examiners investigating the financial condition, operations and market conduct compliance of insurance companies or licensed insurance entities including association examinations; provides staff training and assistance; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans unit work; establishes and maintains unit procedures; develops or makes recommendations on the development of policies, standards, regulations and laws; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; discusses with company officials its condition as reflected by the examination and any indication of violation of state laws or regulations; prepares final reports of examinations or financial analysis for submission to the Director or Program Manager; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of relevant agency policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of and ability to apply relevant State and Federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of the accounting and auditing principles involved in the examination of insurance companies; considerable knowledge of the organization and business practices of insurance companies; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability in planning and directing a large scale examination program; considerable ability to interpret and evaluate financial statements; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of experience in one or more of the following areas: regulatory examination of financial condition or market conduct of insurance companies; accounting, auditing, and/or actuarial work in the insurance industry.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of the General Experience must have been in a lead or consultative capacity in professional work in insurance examining or auditing. For state employees, this will be interpreted at or above the level of Insurance Financial Examiner.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in Accounting, Insurance, Business, Finance, Actuarial Science or Economics may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (l5) semester hours equalling one-half (l/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in Accounting, Insurance, Business, Finance, or Economics may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience
3. Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Supervisory experience;
- Experience with statutory audit division procedures;
- Experience with Insurance Group structures and residual material risks within an insurance organization;
- Experience researching insurance issues;
- Experience leading meetings.
1. Incumbents must possess at time of appointment and maintain during employment the designation of Certified Financial Examiner (CFE) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.