Do you enjoy conducting research and analyzing data? Are you looking for an opportunity to make an impact and serve your state? If so, we invite you to apply to be part of our team!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Social Services (DSS) is recruiting for two (2) Research Analysts, in our Business Intelligence and Analytics Division (BIA). Located at our Central Office, located at 55 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT; this full-time, 40 hour per week position is first shift, Monday through Friday.
In this role, the responsibilities include:
- Conducting research and advanced analyses
- Support strong decision intelligence across the DSS enterprise
- Collaborate closely with various DSS business units to serve as their analytic account executive to ensure production of meaningful data products
- Support DSS' data governance activities, including data policy development, data equity framework + geo-spatial advancement
- Coordinate with the BIA Director and the DSS Strategic Efforts Director to provide analytic and performance management support for the agency's Strategic Plan, including identifying effective outcomes that increase sustainable benefits for Connecticut citizens and evidences sound public stewardship of the State's resources
- Help coordinate DSS' data request process, particularly those pertaining to complex and client confidential research related data
- Collaborate with the BIA Director, BIA staff, Divisions, Legal and ITS to conduct impact assessments and shepherd data requests to timely fulfillment
- Support the BIA Division with development and implementation of the Department's Research Agenda and other evaluative activities
Our agency delivers and funds a wide range of programs and services as Connecticut’s multi-faceted health and human services agency. DSS serves about 1 million residents of all ages in all 169 Connecticut cities and towns. We support the basic needs of children, families, older and other adults, including persons with disabilities. Services are delivered through 12 field offices, central administration, and online and phone access options. Follow us on twitter@ctdss and see what we are all about!
We encourage a healthy work/life balance and offer competitive benefits including a hybrid retirement plan where new employees may elect to enroll in the State Employees Retirement System which provides a retirement benefit, including retiree health insurance. Paid time off, including 12 paid holidays per calendar year in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. Also group life insurance and other supplemental benefits.
The Department of Social Services participates in the E-Verify system, which is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
Check out our latest YouTube Video to see what it is like to be a State employee:
If selected for further consideration, State employees may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualification(s) for this position, at the discretion of the hiring agency. These documents include: two most recent performance reviews and last two years attendance records. Applicants from outside state service may requested to provide two current letters of professional reference. Candidates must clearly specify their qualifications in their application. Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Should you have any questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks in research design and implementation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Develops and implements formal research projects and assists in these activities on more comprehensive and complex research assignments; analyzes, interprets and prepares data in a variety of ways; prepares narrative and statistical reports; develops computerized databases and analyzes and interprets computer generated reports; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of research methods and techniques; knowledge of statistics; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to analyze data; ability to develop programs and use prepackaged computer programs to perform data analysis; ability to understand agency related policies and procedures as they relate to research.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Six (6) years of professional experience in research, data analysis or economics.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in economics, statistics or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Preference will be given to candidates who have an Advanced degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Health, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, or a related field and experience with the following:
- Work experience in Health or Human Services
- Using SAS, SPSS, or other similar statistical software
- Using NVivo, or other similar qualitative data analysis software
- Tableau or other similar data visualization software
- Geo-spatial software
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.