Looking for an exciting and fulfilling seasonal position? If so, we have a terrific opportunity for you!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP), Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, Boating Division, has two (2) current openings for Seasonal Resource Assistants for the Candlewood Lake Pumpout Boat, which is operated by DEEP.
The boat is operated on weekends and holidays. The positions available are:
Boat operation is from 9:00am-5:00pm on weekends and holidays. Candidates may fill their remaining weekly hours (up to 40 hours) by performing Boating Education Assistant duties, which entails visiting state boat launches and talking to boaters about clean and safe boating practices.
- Position 1: Primary captain of the boat.
- Position 2: Part-time operators and/or mates of the boat.
Other important information:
- Pay rate: $12.00 to $14.00 per hour depending on education and experience. There are no benefits or paid holidays with this position.
- Hours per week: Up to forty (40) hours per week. Working on weekends and holidays is mandatory.
- Duration: Mid-May through October. Six months from date of hire, not to exceed 1040 hours.
DEEP is charged with conserving, improving and protecting the natural resources and the environment of the state of Connecticut as well as making cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy available for the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut’s economy and creating jobs – and to fostering a sustainable and prosperous economic future for the state.
For technical support regarding the filing of your application in JobApps, please contact Jake Ferrari via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions specific to the position, please contact Kate Hughes Brown, Environmental Analyst, via phone at 860-447-4340 or via email at email@example.com.
Note: Do not submit a cover letter. Applicants must only include a resume within the "Resume Tab" of their application.
These positions are non-competitive. Open to the public.
The selected candidates must be able to work outside during the summer months and have a valid driver’s license and Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation or Safe Boating Certificate.
The operators must be knowledgeable with a boat and may be required to perform an on-the-water boat handling demonstration.
Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
Operators may be required to attend additional training.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, as a limited duration employee, performs one or more of a variety of tasks and assigned duties of a seasonal nature.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Pumpout Boat Operator/Mate:
- Performs pumpouts to boats on Candlewood Lake
- Keep log of pumpouts performed
- Ensure boat is kept in proper working order
- General vessel maintenance, cleaning and sanitizing
- Distribution of CVA Pumpout Program promotional items to boaters from the vessel
- Assisting with DEEP Boating Division public outreach events, as needed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Ability to follow instructions.
Candidates should have prior knowledge and experience with boating and be able to work the entire season.
1. Incumbents in this class who are assigned as supervisors of small recreational units will perform emergency first aid as needed and will be required to obtain and retain a Basic First Aid Certificate.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required for certain positions to meet any of the following:
a. Proof of possession of a valid Motor Vehicle Operator license.
b. Possession of a valid license to apply pesticides.
c. College training in a specific field.
d. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification may be required by specific State facilities.
3. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must have and retain an American Red Cross (ARC) Lifeguarding Certification (includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Basic First Aid). An EMT or MRT certification may be substituted for the CPR and First Aid requirements.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties of the class.
2. Incumbents performing lifeguard services must be able to demonstrate American Red Cross (ARC) waterfront lifeguarding swimming skills.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.