Are you a culinary professional looking for a new opportunity? Do you enjoy preparing high quality meals for students? If so, we invite you to read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut has an exciting Head Cook position within the State Department of Education (SDE), at Oliver Wolcott Technical High School in Torrington, CT. The mission of the Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) is to provide a world-class, unique, and rigorous learning environment for high school students and adult learners that:
- Ensures both student academic success and career technical education mastery, as well as promotes enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
- Prepares students for post-secondary education, including apprenticeships and immediate productive employment.
- Engages regional, state, national and international employers, and industries in a vibrant collaboration to respond to current, emerging and changing global workforce needs and expectations.
- Pursues and participates in global partnerships that provide CTECS students with international exposure and experience.
Work/Life Balance: Full-time (37.5 hours per week), 10 months a year, Monday-Friday 6:30a.m. - 2:30p.m.
Discover the Opportunity to:
- Collaborate with highly skilled and experienced cooks.
- Serve as the working Supervisor of a busy high school kitchen providing nearly 600 meals daily while following all USDA requirements pertaining to the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs.
What’s in It For You- Leading Comprehensive Benefits: Competitive salary structure, excellent health & dental coverage, generous vacation, personal, and sick time, retirement plan options & more!
This position will be filled in accordance with reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
*New State Employees start at minimum salary range.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Catherine Downey at Catherine.Downey@CT.Gov or at 860-937-6979.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for food service employees engaged in the preparation and cooking of food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans kitchen workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns, oversees, and reviews work; establishes and maintains kitchen procedures; provides staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may make recommendations on policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; inspects and requisitions food and supplies; supervises the cleaning of kitchen and other food service areas and of equipment; may plan menus and be responsible for serving of meals; performs the full range of duties as outlined in the Cook specification; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply cooking principles and techniques on a quantity basis; considerable knowledge of institutional cooking methods; knowledge of health and safety requirements in food service; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare menus and keep records; ability to utilize computer software; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience in the preparation and cooking of food.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in the preparation of food on a quantity basis.
Note: For State Employees the Special Experience will be interpreted at or above the level of Cook.
Preferred candidates will possess:
- One or more years of large volume food production experience in a school cafeteria setting;
- One or more years of experience performing supervisory tasks to include: ordering, inventory and completion of production records;
- Degree or Certification in Food Service Management, Culinary Arts, Food and Nutrition or other related field;
- Experience in Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word and Excel.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases.
3. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from patients/clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.