The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking qualified applicants to fill vacancies for Transportation Maintainer 1 positions. The candidate pool resulting from this job announcement may be used fill vacancies that may occur over the next 6 months to 1 year, in the following Maintenance Facilities: Farmington, Glastonbury, Meriden, Middletown, Southington, Wethersfield, East Windsor, Windsor, Vernon, Willington, East Hartford, Harford and Bolton.
At the time of interview candidates will be required to bring a copy of their Master Application and a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1).
In order to be eligible to apply, applicants must:
• Be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30. Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm; which at times could be up to a period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
• Hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (A or B), with the "tank endorsement," a valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC),
• Have work experience as indicated in the "Preferred Qualifications" listed below.
• Meet a 20-mile residency requirement from the posted job location
• Candidates are also required to submitted a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1) form.
- Full-time 37.5 hrs/week
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Competitive salary structure, excellent health & dental coverage, generous vacation, personal, and sick time, retirement plan options & more!
Candidates must indicate they hold a current and valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tank endorsement in the "Licenses and Professional Certifications" section of the application, or they will not be considered.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their Master Application and a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1).
In order to be eligible to apply and be considered for this job opening, candidates must have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tank endorsement, meet the Minimum Qualifications and have the Preferred Qualifications listed, and must specify their qualifications on the application.
Applicants must select all locations (listed above) in which they wish to be considered for, on their application. Failure to indicate a location listed above will result in the applicant not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B, reflecting the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at time of interview, or they will be immediately disqualified. Candidates are also required to submitted a thoroughly completed Connecticut Department of Transportation Commercial Driver Supplement (CTDOT-CDL-1) form.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Derrick Seldon at email@example.com and reference the Recruitment Number 210108-2345TC-001.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a full range of basic tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of State roadside, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains small and less complex mechanical equipment or acts as a helper on larger and more complex equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
The following is a listing of examples of trucks, equipment, tasks or related duties, the operating, maintaining or performing of which are considered to be the responsibilities and duties of positions in this class:
- 1/2, 3/4 ton Suburban
- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton vans (passenger/cargo)
- 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton pickups (2 & 4 wheel drive)
- 2 ton, 3 ton platform stakes
- Sedan deliveries
- Station wagons
- 3/4, 1 ton trucks, various body styles
- 9 ton dump truck (to be paid at the appropriate level).
- Mowing equipment Class 12 with or without attachments
- Wood chipper
- Pavement breakers
- Grass trimmers/brush cutters
- Walk behind snow blowers
- Portable pumping units
- Chain saws
- Vibratory compaction equipment
- Assisting employees of higher grades in more skilled operation
- Heavy custodial maintenance of buildings and grounds
- Finish grading on roadway or roadside projects
- Gas station attendants
- Hand seeding
- Helping on refuse collection trucks
- Helping on sanding and plowing
- Relief ferry mate, drawbridge attendant and/or rest area attendant
- Stores section material handling
- Wildlife hazard control
- Radio monitoring and communication
- Escort vendors, contractors, etc. in secure areas (State owned airports only)
In addition to other duties, at State-owned airports may function as a guard/watchman or may be required to receive training in, stand by for, and respond to fire and/or crash emergency situations; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of the physical properties of standard highway or airport construction and maintenance materials; some knowledge of some mechanical principles; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; familiarity with the basic practices of the construction and maintenance trades; ability to use and make minor repairs to small tools and the simpler mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
• Snow plowing experience with CDL vehicles, larger than a 1-ton dump vehicle; landscaping experience, construction experience
• Candidates must possess a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and Medical Examiner's Card MEC), and demonstrate their experience, skills and abilities on their Master Application prior to being eligible for interview.
• Candidates must meet the 20-mile residency requirement of the posted position.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbents in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination will be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.